8.30.2005

Ideas aren't the most important thing

I'm always interested in what very successful creative people have to say about their work lives. I was reminded today about Twyla Tharp's book called The Creative Habit. I haven't read it yet, it's one of those that I want to but haven't but I've liked all the things written about it in the Times, and here on Head Butler. (Jesse Kornbluth, the Head Butler, has a 4x a week email notice about interesting and under the radar things. I read him regularly!)

Twyla Tharpe maintains that ideas follow discipline and hard work -- after them, not before. That's akin to what I've heard successful writers say: sit at the computer even if you're blanked. You have to be THERE to write.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I.e., sitzfleisch.

kitty said...

Btw, did someone say Moonpies? Mallomars?

jude calvert-toulmin said...

> That's akin to what I've heard successful writers say: sit at the computer even if you're blanked. You have to be THERE to write.

I agree. None of this "I'm an artist! I have to be inspired!" bollocks. It's a job. You clock on and you work. When the writing battery runs out, you spend time researching, googling, networking and helping others.

You also have to know when to say "Fuck this for a game of cricket, I'm off to buy shoes and cream cakes."