9.12.2005

Post 9/11

Thanks to all of you who wrote to me about this anniversary, and what you were doing on 9/11. It meant a lot to me.


One of the big subway transit hubs here, Union Square, has an ongoing memorial to 9/11.It's not a part of the station I see very often so when I walked by last week it was the first time I saw the graffiti. Regardless of politics, (in NYC you can pretty much assume the politics is left left left of left,) I was dismayed to see a big ol’ swash of "Bush Lied" across the names of the people who perished.

It seemed akin to painting "Johnson lied" across the VietNam memorial. It may be true, and I don't want to get into that, but it's out of place.

My brethren in Christ, those street theatre folks in ActUP! and EarthFirst, would tell you that "out of place" is irrelevant. The point is to rouse people and get attention.

However, co-opting a memorial wall for a political statement is the act of a political vulture. Vultures have their place, just ask the Zoroastrians, but "flipping us the bird" in the subway is the act of someone whose sense of decency has taken flight.

Keep your damn spray painted political performance art off the names of people who just went to work one day. A day, dammit, just like today.

5 comments:

Ric said...

Miss Snark,

Nicely put.

E. Dashwood said...

I hate to bring up business at a time like this, but I heard that if you had a book that came out circa 9-11, it was DOA unless it concerned national security, the Middle East, Islam, etc., in which case you were golden.

The Mom said...

That's horrible! The responsible party will someday regret his/her thoughtless actions.
I have to believe that.

Bernita said...

Thank you, Miss Snark.

occasional_anonymous said...

An English friend of mine was very upset when protestors against the G8 vandalised the cenotaph in London. Whoever did that alienated someone who probably would have supported their cause otherwise. My friend thought Churchill looked kinda cute in his grass wig tho.