9.01.2005

The Snarkometer retires to Mr. Clooney's chateau

We've reached the end of the Snarkometer submissions. 57 in four days is pretty much my limit I've discovered.

A tip of the Snark chapeau to everyone who sent in work. I know I learned a lot from reading it, and making comments. Several people have been kind enough to email their gratitude, and more have posted comments too.

I salute your courage. Even without names attached it's HARD to have someone tell you your work isn't what you thought it was. It's even harder to respond graciously which everyone who responded, did. Those of you who think Miss Snark needs her head examined were mostly kind enough to keep it to yourselves.

We'll do query letters in a while, but frankly I need to get some real work done here. There are some pending emails with questions, and I'll start in on those. If anyone else has general questions, now's the time to ask. Email is fine, or posting here on the comment board too. Email guarantees I see it; I miss some of the comments if they get submerged in a long list.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for doing this--it has been an excellent learning experience in identifying problems and something we all can benefit from seeing through the eyes of an agent.

Michelle said...

I second that. Even reading comments about the work of others has opened my eyes to some things I never thought about in a submission.

What's nice about this forum is that we can get honest feedback, and when we thank you, you know we aren't trying to get you as an agent or "suck up" because we haven't a clue who you are anyway. Thanks so much for several fun days!

kitty said...

This has been a refuge, especially now since Katrina.

Laura Lemm said...

What struck me toward the end is how carefully you read every last submission. Attention to detail is hard, and you gave your hot-damnedest for each one of us. *Here, this drink's on me*

Deepest thanks for the whole thing!

Christa M. Miller said...

Agreed. I told two friends about your blog and they ran their pages through the Snarkometer too - and we all agree on how it has helped us think. I think what you are doing is amazing, largely because you may be snarky, but never ever condescending. Your blog is a gem!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your time, Miss Snark. You're a star.

--from the squicky spider lady

Douglas Hoffman said...

You've provided a valuable service, Miss S. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Miss Snark's da bomb. If I knew Mr. Clooney personally, I'd put in a good word.

Anonymous said...

Miss Snark,

Though I don't always agree with the "action in the first few sentences" generalization, I really, really, really appreciate you posting your thoughts- at such a pace and with such a span of time for submissions!- on random submissions. You're wonderful.