10.17.2005

Ex marks the spot

Suppose you drop your current agent for whatever reason (communication problems, different ideas about your career, you want more of a shark, etc.). When querying new agents, should you mention "I was formerly represented by so-and-so"? Or is it better to say something like "I'm seeking new representation"? Or should you not mention it at all? Thanks.

Mention it, even though agent hoppers are high on my list of people to avoid.

Despite that, I have quite a few ex-clients from other agents in town who are happy here at Snark Central. We had an in-depth conversation about what was not satisfactory in their previous representation. You really do need to be honest about that part though or you'll just be changing again and you only get about three "it just didn't work out" before I'm not that thrilled to be hearing from you.

1 comment:

kmfrontain said...

I had noticed this fleeting interest in webpages. Not so much in myself, but in lack of reactions to instructions on my site. As a result, I have used red highlighting, and also put a notice at the top that says, "For a quick download...", all because I figured visitors weren't really reading my site, my instructions, or my introductions, and this is weird, because the site is reading orientated. So yeah. Internet advertising has got to be bolder and faster than a humming bird.