10.30.2005

A is for Anthology, E is for editor, I is for Inclusion, O os for 'ow to.

Miss Snark: Following up on a previous post, how does a newbie writer grab the attention of anthology editors? It seems that there's always space for a new writer in most anthologies. How does an intrepid but un-famous one learn about anthologies in the works?

Most anthologies I know are assembled by the editors. They ask their friends and writers they know. Case in point: Tim McLoughlin, edited the first Brooklyn Noir (Akashic) and has great stories about tracking down writers for certain sections of Brooklyn. He found some who'd never been published: Thomas Morrissey won an Edgar for best first short story for his entry. Tom was a bartender who just happened to ask Tim what he did for a living one night while serving him a drink.

Short of hanging out at watering holes in Brooklyn (though always a good idea) you'll want to get your work out there. The way to get known is to put your work up there for people to read. And meet writers when you can. Go to readings. Go to conferences sponsored by organizations like MWA or RWA.

Keep your eye peeled for "calls for submissions". There's even something on the net called

Anthologies Online that has a place for editors to look for work.

But mostly, write really well and get your work out there for people to read.

2 comments:

Random Walk Writer said...

Ralan.com lists anthologies that are open to submission in the speculative fiction genres. Currently, there are over 30 listed.

Another Author said...

Hi Miss Snark . . . this post is old so I don't know if you'll see this comment, but I have an anthology idea and want to include authors who are 1) not pubbed with my house and 2) not represented by my agent. (they are all agented and pubbed by different major NY houses). None of us are "big" names but (I believe) all on the cusp and we have diverse readers, though write in the same general genre.

How do I approach this with my agent? (Basically, I don't want to look stupid ... been there, done that.) Is it even kosher to suggest an anthology without a common agent/agency or house? What are the logistics of something like this (my agent is the best of the bunch; I'd want her to negotiate and her lawyers to review the contract) but do all agents get a cut? Is it split like royalties in an anthology?

Am I even making sense? I think I have a great idea . . . but just need some impartial, professional advice on how to put it together.

TIA