10.25.2005

MizBigShotz Rides Again!

So, how does one use a "blurb" from a traditionally published and well regarded author in a query letter?

Should I state under what circumstances the author has come to read and comment on my work? Is that what you are suggesting?

Personally, it makes me cringe to include the blurb; and I've gotten mixed advice from some publishing veterans I know.

Please advise.


Well, first, Miss Snark doesn't really want to be a veteran; Khaki is just not her color.

Here's how to do this:
1.
I took a writing class with Miss Snark at Platypus U in March. She critiqued my work as "bellicose with a certain underground charm".


or

2.
Miss Snark was kind enough to read my work at a writing conference and commented "you suck but so does everyone else so you should have no trouble finding an agent to sell this".


or
3.
Miss Snark, who has been my friend since pre birth, ripped this out of my word processor as I wrote it, so eager was she to see what happened.


Well you get the idea: just a phrase about context. When you say "Miss Snark said such and such" I wonder if you're just lifting phrases out of her form rejection letter. Lest you think that is my fevered imagination at work, dig into the archives. It's happened.

3 comments:

Bridget Medora said...

When you say "Miss Snark said such and such" I wonder if you're just lifting phrases out of her form rejection letter.

Ah yes...spin. I'm so ferociously skeptical of anything anyone says to make themselves look good that I wonder how on earth anyone will ever trust any praise my novels might earn in the future, should things get that far.

Mark Pettus said...

Whew, you had me worried there. I thought maybe Ms. Bigshotz had changed her mind. As I'm sure you're aware, she's a little unpredictable.

Plus, I thought maybe she was still mad about that whole incident in the hotel bar. I mean, how was I supposed to know it snapped in the front?

Mark Pritchard said...

Every time you use the word "platypus" I take another drink. It's a new game!