10.16.2005

Sunday Style Section

Miss Snark, What exactly does the term "stylish" mean when describing a book, not Miss Snark's wardrobe?

Good thing you asked this before you saw what I am wearing: bunny slippers, sweater, jammies and last night's party hat. I'm hoping Killer Yapp is exploring his feminine side cause if not, I have lingerie in my pocketbook and that's never really a good thing on Sunday morning.

Now, stylish.

I don't know. I don't think I've ever seen a book described as stylish.

There are publishers with such a command of style their books are instantly recognizable: Dorling Kindersley, Workman, Adams. Anything designed by Chip Kidd up at Pantheon, same thing.

There are publishers who don't know diddly about design and produce books that look like crap, but they shall remain nameless. I always look at book covers when I'm investigating a new publisher. You can tell a lot about a publisher by the covers.

If you want to give me an example of where you saw "stylish" used I can take a run at this question again.

4 comments:

kaolin fire said...

There are publishers who don't know diddly about design and produce books that look like crap, but they shall remain nameless. I always look at book covers when I'm investigating a new publisher. You can tell a lot about a publisher by the covers.

Thank you for this. :)

marcille said...

Miss Snark,

Re: Stylish

I see it sometimes in the description of a book. For example, the book "The Constant Gardener" was described as a stylish thriller. "Rain Fall", Barry Eisler's first was described as a stylish thriller. "Memorial Day" by Vince Flynn also.

Love your outfit, by the way.

THRILL said...

I've seen the 'stylish' tag too-often on trade paperbacks. I suspect it's an attempt to say, 'this is more than good commercial fiction, this book verges on classy literary fiction'. Ergo worth the extra dollars for trade size? But I'd have thought the 'commercial' reader pool is far, far bigger than the literary reader pool. I have to say, the 'stylish' tag on a mainstream novel doesn't make sense to me.

E. Dashwood said...

Lenny Bruce talked in a disparaging way about "comedic stylings." I don't want comedic stylings, he said. I want something funny.

I always raise at least one eyebrow when I hear about someone's "lifestyle." You mean, someone's habits.

I want a life not a lifestyle.