10.25.2005

SyNOThis

Dear Miss Snark,

I know some well published authors who have written their synopsis in first person, if their manuscript was written in first person. The response from their agent and editor was very favorable as it captured the flavor and style of the manuscript. I realize not every agent or editor would like this idea, but I guess it's a gamble people choose to take.

My question is: What is your opinion if you asked for a synopsis and it was divided into 4 x POV, just like the manuscript was written in. By saying this I don't mean one paragraph is in first person present, the next in third person past. But the manuscript and synopsis is divided equally and obviously into four stories (and POV), all interlinked, to make one big story (a six degrees of separation-type thing). Would you throw something at Killer Yapp, or would you raise your gin pail to the author if it is done really well and gives you a sense of the style and flow of the manuscript? Or do you not even bother reading a synopsis and get stuck straight into the manuscript?


The purpose of a synopsis is NOT to give you a sense of style and flow of the manuscript. It's to tell you what happens and who's important. The first five pages of your manuscript should convey your style.

I STRONGLY urge you to not do something weird with your synopsis. And this is weird. If you have four linked stories linked, just say so. Straightforward is the ONLY way to go for synopsis if you are trying to get attention from an editor or agent. If you are already published and have an established relationship with an agent, you can write your synopsis in haiku for all I care cause I don't have to read it or sell it. BUT if you are sending material out for consideration, don't do this.

1 comment:

brainlesionssuck said...

Thanks for the synopsis/style advice...Gripping site...I only stop when I know I have time because I can't quit reading!
Kathie from Housewifecafe.com