10.11.2005

Who pays?


Today you wrote that you'd buy a writer a gin...which makes me wonder, who buys the lunch when you meet the writer? I had an awkward moment a couple of weeks ago when discussing some revisions with my agent in a trendy San Fran bistro, which I had suggested to her...


Agent pays.
That's the general rule.
However, if you start suggesting trendy little bistros with waiters named Phrank who offer you scented hand towels to go with the teaspoon of rice and a bean sprout that cost more than my Con Ed bill...then you pay. Before we show up though I'm going to tell you if something you suggest is off my price range. I'm not just going to sit on my hands and look demure while we hope the check evaporates.

There are exceptions to this of course. I have several clients who are gentlemen of advanced years. They would no more let a lady pick up a check then they would strip naked and do karaoke in Times Square (not that Miss Snark hasn't offered the opportunity of course). These are gentlemen who are not quite used to women and particularly women young enough to be their daughters reaching for the check. I let them pay because to insist would make them feel uncomfortable.

If I take a client to an event that has a bar, I buy the first round of drinks and generally a second. Any more than that, they're on their own.

11 comments:

Existential Man said...

so what's your notion of "gentlemen of advanced years"? a guy who is 50-something?

kmfrontain said...

Try seventy. Don't make us forty something babes feel old.

Bonnie Calhoun said...

Forget the forties....don't make us 50-somethings feel like "advanced in years"....existential man, you sure know how to win friends and influence people :-)

E. Dashwood said...

Snark, I thought you previously posted you almost never socialize with your clients. Are you trying to throw us bloodhounds off the scent by doubling back across the stream?

E. Dashwood said...

Also, gentlemen and ladies who are old enough to be your parents were flower children once upon a time, a much more liberated and enlightened generation than today's. Unless you are referring to some truly ancient clients?

jason evans said...

Miss Snark,

Are you partial to Bombay Saphire? Perhaps Tanqueray No. Ten is more to your liking. I'm buying (and my years are nowhere near advanced).

We have to treat our literary treasures with due respect, after all.

Bonnie Calhoun said...

Dear e. dashwood...I was one of those flower power children, hung out with Jimmy Hendrix and lost a shoe at the real Woodstock (ankle high mud sucked it off my foot as a tractor tried to run over me) but I digress...

I've been there and done that...and today after seeing where the world has gone because of those type of behaviors, believe me...I'm tighter than the cap on the half full bottle of gin that Miss Snark brought back in her suitcase.

So don't let the age fool ya'!

Ric said...

Bonnie,

Some of us are still here and still believe.

My daughter born April 28, 1970, has a T-shirt that says
I was conceived at Woodstock! that she wears with pride.

The Sixties live.

Miss Snark said...

Yo Dash! I distinguish between business lunches and socializing. Biz lunches are mostly about work. I do that as often as I need to with clients. What I don't do is socialize much with them. I'm not a personal friend, I'm a business colleague. That's not to say we aren't friendly and collegial, but if Killer Yapp bites the dust I'm not calling my clients for solace. Therein lies is the difference for me.

Bonnie Calhoun said...

Hey ric, my son was born Dec. 25, 1970 and I have a tee shirt from Woodstock that says.....well, nevermind what it says! It's hidden in a trunk in the attic! Fond memories though, huh...those were the days!

Carolyn B. said...

You said, "They would no more let a lady pick up a check then they would strip naked and do karaoke in Times Square (not that Miss Snark hasn't offered the opportunity of course)."

So, YOU'RE the one offering older gents the opportunity to strip and sing off-key in public ... knew someone had to be behind that.

*grin*