11.10.2005

Clubhouse...no coooties allowed

A Snarkling wrote:

I may be misunderstanding something. You say: "(For paperback originals) I try to push people I think can sell, can sell to book clubs...."It almost sounds like you're saying you take a role in pushing your authors' books to book clubs. If so, do you mean institutions like Book of the Month Club? Or do you simply mean you choose books which bookstore book clubs will like?


Book clubs are another way to say reading groups. Pushing books to reading groups is a very very good way to build an author's sales. Most of these clubs or groups don't meet in conjunction with a book store at all. They meet in private homes, talk books, drink gin and generally have a darn fine time. As you might imagine, they prefer trade paperback books that are less expensive.

Book of the Month Club rights are sold as a subsidiary right and you bet Miss Snark works on that. Mostly informally. That's when it's helpful to have an agent who is well connected to the publishing world. Of course I talk with everyone I know about the books I love. It's not a formal pitch presentation; it's more "im excited by this book".

And you have the "choosing" order wrong. I choose to represent books I love that I think will sell. I've never taken a book solely cause I think book groups would love it. I firmly believe that's the road to ruination (a road Miss Snark plans to avoid). I am passionate about every single book I represent. Sometimes I think I'm the only one that it but eventually someone else sees the light.

1 comment:

Candice Gilmer said...

Miss Snark said: "I am passionate about every single book I represent. Sometimes I think I'm the only one that it but eventually someone else sees the light."

You can't be the only one. I'm sur the authors are passionate too. :) I know I'm passionate about my book! :)