11.14.2005

Four Seasons, Four Reasons..let's just check in to Hotel California and be done with it

Dear Miss Snark: I recently received a rejection letter from an editor, a full page, thought out, personal letter that went on about how compelling, and intense my book was and how much she enjoyed reading it. She went so far as to point out which sentences and images she liked in the book and how true she felt the story was. She ended her letter by telling me that she was sure that some editor would fall in love with it and publish it. She never really "rejected" it. She just found a way of doing that without saying so. While I was flattered by her efforts, I was also thrown a few steps back. If it was so darned good and she liked it so darned much, why didn't she buy it?

1. Her boss didn't like it enough to ok an offer.
2. She's getting ready to quit so she's not buying anything
3. She's acquired everything she can for the next five seasons so she has no room on the list.
4. She's lying through her teeth and she really hated it and just sent you that letter to make you feel bad.

Choose one and ONLY one answer.


8 comments:

Feisty said...

Thank you, Miss Snark, for clearing that up. I am choosing number four because it makes me feel the best.

Feisty

Sherryl said...

Why would you choose Number 4? The first 3 are probably more realistic.
I had a similar letter once from an editor who said great things but then said (honestly, which I appreciated) "but I didn't fall head over heels in love with it" so, publishing being what it is, he had to reject it.
It's the rejection letter I read when I need a lift. I don't need to choose hate mail!

Shadow said...

Earth to sherryl: It's called s-a-r-c-a-s-m!

Bernita said...

In this digital world, I'd definitely take it as a one thumb up, not a middle finger.

kitty said...

We're constantly told how busy editors are, so why would an editor spend the time to write that letter if he wasn't sincere?

Rick said...

Doesn't this really come down to #1? If the editor was leaving, or had filled all her slots, why would she even read an ms that she couldn't buy anyway? (If I'm wrong about this, Miss Snark will no doubt enlighten us!)

THRILL said...

I've heard of editors suffering depression over this kind of thing. Enough to make them leave when it happens once to often. Then what? Freelance or start writing? Full time. It's sad.

They love the book. Their senior doesn't. Or marketing hates it.

Miss Snark, what do you do when an editor calls to say she loved the manuscript you sent but her boss didn't? Is that a gin day?

Amie Stuart said...

GOod question thrill. I had the same thing happen to me.