11.22.2005

magna cum silent

So I went to school with this one woman. She became an agent in a very reputable agency. I queried her. Didn't hear from her. Now, was I wrong in expecting to hear from her even if it was to say hey, wassup, how are you, but no thanks? I really expected her to respond. So far, out of all the agents I've queried, she's the only letter that has gone unanswered. Thanks.


Well, the first thing I'd wonder is if you included an SASE. And no snarling about how "of course you did" cause mistakes happen.

The other thing is if you think it's fun rejecting total strangers, think of how much MORE fun it is to reject people who knew you when you had braces, spots, and a cassette tape player full of Duran Duran.

She may be taking the easy way out by not responding. Miss Snark has embraced that path on more than one occasion to her everlasting shame.

You might query one more time, make sure you throw in an SASE, and then, if no answer, there's your answer.

3 comments:

S. W. Vaughn said...

Grrrr...

This particular WD article pissed me off in more ways than one. Not only did she not follow the rules (which is fine on occasion) and not bother to learn the rules before she broke them (which is not so fine), she admittedly has no passion for writing, did not fall in love with her characters, and never got sucked into that lovely black hole of oblivion to everything but the story, the one thing the rest of us seek out every single day of our pathetic lives.

Yet she landed a contract. Perhaps it wouldn't piss me off if I didn't know so well the anguish the rest of us normal, rule-following writers go through to get where she is.

Grrrr, I say!

-S

Stephen D. Rogers said...

Is it a good idea to ask other writers represented by the agent to ask on your behalf if you know them? Or would that come across poorly?

Anonymous said...

Then it's got to be my predilection for Duran Duran because I did include an SASE.