11.20.2005

Multiple Personalities

I'm trying to find representation for a science fiction novel (yeah, yeah, I know... but the characters decided on THAT, not me) and the pool of agents to query is smaller than for other genres. I'm still in the single digits in acquiring rejection slips but already feel the walls closing in.

Say Mr. Big-Time-Agent Agency reads science fiction submissions. I try him and he rejects me. However, several other agents who accept science fiction submissions are also at the agency. Do I consider Mr. Big's dimissal a blanket rejection? Or is there a problem about approaching other agents within his agency? HE didn't want it-- but perhaps another agent there does.

I've asked people in my writing group and the opinions were varied. So, I'm going to One Who Actually Knows Stuff *s*.

Thanks for great information you provide on regular basis. Your blog has provided me lots of insight.

Snarkling X (who works in the TV industry and has actually been around Mr. Clooney but never worked directly with him. If that changes, I'll be sure to give him your regards *s*)
Los Angeles, California

Around him? Works for me!! I'll send the contracts overnight.
oh wait...
must turn away from the ethical lapse...
must not behave badly in full view of the devotion of snarklings far and wide...

Actually, I don't know the answer to this question.
I fly solo. Killer Yapp wanted to represent Paris Hilton's jilted dog in a tail-all memoir, but he had a hard time finding Tinkerbelle's new address.

My educated guess is that you can query everyone in the agency without fear of overstepping. Surely they don't agree on every client or have one bite satisfies all policies.

But, I'll be glad to hear from other folks who work in multiple person agencies weigh in on this. AgentKate are you listening?








6 comments:

SAND STORM said...

You have to go Agency by Agency. Some have said it's ok to contact more than one agent while others prohibit it.

SAND STORM said...

PS agent kate hasn't posted since Oct 14.

way1lander said...

I'm currently circulating a fantasy novel and a NY agent has the full manuscript. This is at an agency where another agent rejected the partial a few months ago. I would say it depends how far you got. If someone rejected the full then it would be unwise to try. If they rejected the query or the partial then I would roll the dice again. What's to lose?

harridan said...

Hmmm, I think this another "targeting your market" type thing.

In an agency with multiple agents, they most often list what each person is looking for in submissions. One may not want anything to do with SF, but another may adore it.

It's just another research thing that you have to do sometimes.

Miss Snark said...

Jodi comments:

First, ouch! What's that Snarkling got against SFF (says the insane fantasy writer)? There's nothing wrong with writing SFF. Miss Snark, I know *you* don't read or represent SFF, but I want the Snarklings to know it's *okay* to write and read it! Geeze.

Anyway, about the agencies. I've run across a few SFF agencies that say it's totally fine to send to all the agents, as long as they represent the genre you're writing. And then there are some who say don't, because if they think one of the other agents will like it, they'll pass it on. Mostly I've seen them talk about that on their submission guidelines. If they don't say it, I'd probably give it a try.

Thanks for the wonderful and informative blog, Miss Snark!

David Isaak said...

Some agencies do indeed pass things around, sometimes with very odd results. I once sent a partial to Agent A (at his request), and received a rather curt rejection, via my SASE, from Agent B at the same agency.

Fine. I figured Agent A had decided it wasn't for him, and then passed it on to Agent B, who had assumed to onerous taks of kissing me off.

I crossed the agency off my list and got on with business. To my surprise, Agent A e-mailed me about two months later asking for the full ms. Go figure.