11.26.2005

The Nitwit Brigade increases

Miss Snark received a query this morning that included not only a cover letter and sample pages but a letter from a "professional editor" extolling the virtues of the work submitted.

Miss Snark read the pages. And the cover letter. And the praise letter.

Miss Snark will never take this editor's recommendations seriously again.
The pages suck.
Not just sort of. Really sucks.
Sucks so much it crosses Miss Snark's mind that this is a set up from some clever Snarkling to see if this makes it onto the blog.

The only thing that makes me think it might not be a set up is I've heard of this editor before. This however is the first time I've seen some of his ..ah...product.

If you're thinking about working with an editor, don't just look at their resume. This guy has resume. Look at what he's done in his current job. A freelance editor with no publication credits is coasting on his former career.

6 comments:

the chocolatier said...

If you do get your work edited by an editor with publication credits, is it worth mentioning in a query letter or is it more appropriate to wait and see if the agent likes the sample pages first?

Ric said...

Professional Editors.

Friend of mine mortgaged his house, hired a professional book doctor who insisted he put apostrophes in "its" everywhere. Fortunately, the editors caught it.

But there are some real idiots masquerading as 'editors' out there.

Bonnie Calhoun said...

It's a sad day in the city, when idiocy rears its ugly head in the guise of an editor. :-)

Christa M. Miller said...

Oh, dear.

Do I need to worry about my future if some writer whose work I edit selects my "good" comments from an overall critique and slaps my name on them as praise?

In other words, if I edit/critique what you think is crap, and I query you and you remember my name, is that a strike against me as you read my pages?

*shudders*

tudacee said...

I thought Halloween was over? Idiots masquerading as editors! What will they think of next.
;-)

Toots said...

So how does Miss Snark feel about writers using editors? Is it worth doing - assuming said writer can find a reputable editor? And then, should it be mentioned at any stage when querying/sending partials, or kept under the writer's hat/beret/green eye shade?