11.28.2005

Odd Credentials, further

What are your thoughts on including in a query letter my formation of a writers' workshop? We've managed to attract NYT's bestsellers, prestigious literary journal editors, and even, gasp, renowned literary agents to speak at monthly forums. My gut tells me it demonstrates to agents my initiative and understanding of the market, but it doesn't necessarily relate to the project at hand. Thanks so much for your help.



I'm sure Miss Snark's invitation to attend was just lost in the mail. Or perhaps Killer Yapp ate it. Not the first time Miss Snark has been sitting at home alone with KY.

I think you should mention it too. Not a lot, but just a mention. It demonstrates you have contacts, and you're not an ignoramus about publishing. Those are good things.

8 comments:

Gina Black said...

Okay, Miss S. How about this one... I'm a member of the Directors Guild of America. Of course that isn't a professional credential for a writer (that would be WGA), but I've had people (published writing people) suggest strongly that I include it in queries. Would you, care?

kitty said...

Not the first time Miss Snark has been sitting at home alone with KY.

HA HA HA !!! A coveted endorsement, indeed. Certainly as good as the one for Altoids.

Btw, another keyboard bites the dust!

James Goodman said...

Ah, Kitty...you beat me to it. I nearly spewed coffee all over my monitor when I read that.

Dave Kuzminski said...

I was wondering for only a moment how she managed to get a whole state in her apartment. Successful she may be, but to have an apartment that large? ;)

Ric said...

Okay, you guys. I've finally lost a keyboard by reading this blog.

When I saw Miss Snark's response, I thought it was likely a slip; or at least I'm enough of a gentleman to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Then, I get Kitty's - Goodness!!

THanks for the laugh, but MS split keyboards are expensive!!

Bonnie Calhoun said...

OMG.....kitty....warn me next time!!!Circuit City here I come!! Coffee Everywhere....

Oh and by the way...my Pastor's wife walked in while I was reading it. Geez Louise...I'm trying to get it into sleep mode, wipe up the coffee, and distract her from my screen all at the same time...

Now I forgot what I was going to say about the actual post :-)

Sonarbabe said...

HA! HA! Kitty, that was hilarious. Thankfully, I didn't have my coffee mug in hand, but rest assure, had it been, my husband would be furious that I blew Yuban all over his laptop.

Bernita said...

Ha. Bonnie.
Once,a minister came to call unexpectedly. I was wearing a tee-shirt with a morose frog and the legend "I'm so happy here I could just sh&t.
He wondered forever why I was clutching my left breast the entire time.