11.21.2005

Some Pig!

I'm close to finishing the last draft of my novel before I polish and start querying. I know it is likely that an interested agent will ask for changes before starting to shop to editors. So - what changes do you typically ask authors to make? What changes do editors typically want? (Plot? Characterization?) Do you find these changes involve extreme changes to the work, or minor ones? What is the line between a work you will accept that needs more work, or one you reject because it needs too much? Most of all, how do you suggest changes that will improve the work and still hold true to the author's vision?

Well, first of course, in order to prove themselves worthy, all clients must translate their work into pig Latin. We call these first translation rights. Very valuable.

Then, we call in the pig Latin editors and switch all the first person narratives to third cause first person pig Latin isn't melodious. Just try saying aye yay yay yay a lot and not sounding like you need a guitar and sombrero.

Then of course we change all the endings to a deus ex machina pig pull in Charlotte North Carolina. This is cause we revere the work of EB White and his masterpiece.

8 comments:

Feisty said...

You are in full Snarkasm tonight! Let 'er rip.

kitty said...

Bat Segundo has a podcast interview with Jennifer Weiner (51 mins).

In it she talks about the massive rewrites.

She also rips off a few choice words, like a George Carlin list but not as fast :-)

the chocolatier said...

ethay irlgay ashay egunbay orkingway onyay ityay. eshay inksthay atthay ityay illway ebay ( aye ovelay atthay neway) eadyray ootay endsay oonsay.

Bonnie Calhoun said...

Ohhh...chocolatier...LOL..you made my eyes hurt trying to read that...I was ROFLOL that I even did it>>>:-)

the chocolatier said...

lol, Bonnie. Pig Latin was my primary language from 2nd - 5th grade, well that and gibberish: iittgia eenidiggita ootittiga acprigiticitiga. It used to drive my parents insane.

Bonnie Calhoun said...

I'm in the same boast as your parents, I'm old....things that that fry my brain and cross my eyes! :-)

Bonnie Calhoun said...

See how messed up it made me...I can't write....I'm in the same boat...and things like that fry....

oiy ve'...my eyes are still crossed!

THRILL said...

Chocolatier, good luck!

Can relate to the parents bit--think it's more to do with not being able to understand what's being discussed. Now, I do it to my kids in reverse--talk a language they don't understand. Amazing how much they now want to learn a second, third language...