12.27.2005

#31 Crapometer

Genre: Young Adult Christian Fantasy (12 and up)

Title: F.A.I.R.I.E.S.: Be Careful What You Wish For

Plot Synopsis:

After an argument with one of her sisters, Mimi Goodwin, a 12 year old human, runs away from her family down a beach in Santa Cruz, California and begins wishing for a new life…to become someone different, someone rich. A Dryad (tree Nymph) named Regnans seemingly grants her wishes. He informs Mimi that the F.A.I.R.I.E.S. (Fantastical, Aerial, International, Reasonably Inconspicuous, Emancipation Squads) have chosen her to join them.

where was Regnans when Miss Snark was 12??? I would have given my science textbook and a year's supply of YooHoo to join a band of FAIRIES.

Entering their caverns, Mimi meets several fantastical beings as she undergoes F.A.I.R.I.E.S. inprocessing. To reveal her hidden talents, she takes an aptitude test given by a Gnome and a Sphinx (the wisest beings in the F.A.I.R.I.E.S.’ world.)

sheesh..even in FAIRIE land they’re focused on tests now.

Before becoming a full fledged F.A.I.R.I.E. Squadmember, Mimi requires training. While enduring Basic Training, Mimi discovers that the F.A.I.R.I.E.S. are at war with those who reside in the Darkness. She realizes she has become involved in the age-old spiritual battle between the Light and the Dark. She also learns that she possesses some amazing abilities, gifted (no such word, I don’t care what anyone else says; you mean given to) her by the One, although she remains Human.


After graduating from Basic, Mimi finds a golden treasure in the ocean while swimming with an Oceanide friend. This treasure turns out to be golden German Dragon eggs (an extinct race of Dragon), and the key to convincing the Dragons to rejoin the F.A.I.R.I.E.S.

Mimi embarks on a quest to China and must use all her newly learned skills and gifts to accomplish her task of reuniting the Dragons with the F.A.I.R.I.E.S.

Just after completing the mission, Mimi receives instructions that she must assist in freeing beings enslaved by the I.M.P.S. (Immoral Manipulative Peonage Sorcerers). The Red Chinese Dragons decide to help Mimi, along with the Far East F.A.I.R.I.E.S. and her own West Coast F.A.I.R.I.E.S.

They attack the evil city, Bhogavati, home of the Snakemen and stronghold of the I.M.P.S. They successfully free the imprisoned beings from one of the I.M.P.S.’ main leaders, a human witch named Lilith.

My novel ends with Mimi possessing a much better understanding of her true self and the nature of spiritual warfare. She returns to her family, reconciles with them, and awaits a message to return to the fantastical realm that has become her home.


Well, Christian fantasy is soooo outside my area of expertise that I have no idea if this plot is hackneyed or freshly original. It does seem oddly missing Christ-references if it’s Christian.

There’s not much about the characters here; you’re focused on what happens to the characters, not how they change and develop until the very end.

You didn't shoot yourself in the foot, and the aliens that arrive in chapter 14 actually belong there, so this passes.

5 comments:

Christine said...

Just one comment... the F.A.I.R.I.E.S thing reminds me of Artemis Fowl.. so it may come off as a rip-off, it's so close.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Christine. The F.A.I.R.I.E.S. and their military operation is far too similar to Artemis Fowl. And 'the One' is copied from The Matrix.

M. C. Pearson said...

Thanks for the review Miss Snark. I wrote this book before reading Artemis Fowl and am not sure about the Matrix but will keep both in mind to show how different it is from them. Thank you Christine and Anonymous.

Deirdre said...

There are also similarities to the YA fantasy TITHE by Holly Black. Be careful your ms doesn't seem derivative. Also, didn't see anything "Christian" in the synopsis. Maybe it's just a fantasy? That would be OK. Best of luck.

M. C. Pearson said...

Deirdre~ Thanks, I haven't read Tithe because it is just too dark for me...but I do like Holly Black's Spiderwick Chronicles. I'll also keep that in mind. The Christian stuff is not bang over the head Bible but it is there. You get a taste of it with the One. I'll work on my synopsis to include a bit more of the theology. Thank you!