12.31.2005

Are You For Real?

Very early in the life of this blog, there were several people who doubted Miss Snark was "real". I had some good laughs about that. However, it has now come to my attention there is another doubter in our midst: Blogspot!

Starting yesterday I got error messages on my posts telling me to contact blogger support.
Dutifully I did, but of course, it's Friday, no one's home, and besides, the posts were going through, no problemo. I hunted around a bit to see if the terms of service said anything about too much bandwidth, given the VAST amount of space I was taking up with this synopses workout.

In my hunt, I came across the archive setting and changed it to weekly, figuring that way the "current" blog would be cut in half at least.

When I did that, word verification appeared on my POSTS! Not comments, the actual posts.

My theory is that blogger automatically turns that on if you post too much. Given I've done between 15-20 posts a day for a week, you'd think it would have kicked in sooner!

The error messages went away, the posts go through, alls well that ends well, but oh boy, was I laughing at the idea that even Blogger thinks Miss Snark might not be "real".

11 comments:

Feisty said...

Ok. And your "leave your comment" thingie is all changed now and looks kinda different.

I didn't quite understand why Blogspot doesn't think you're real, but I don't have to understand everything.

M. G. Tarquini said...

Blogger did that to me at first also. Mostly because I had set up a ton of 'blogs' just to ensure I had the addresses reserved for various versions of my name. When I finally got to the nuts and bolts of programming one of the blogs deciding which address to use. I had to prove I was a human first. It's all part of their anti-spam campaign - people with too many blogs, or too many posts get targeted, I think.

Bonnie Calhoun said...

I don't know what it is! But what ever is doing it to you is messing with my Web Accelerator. I have to disable it to get your page to come up, because with it on I get a Page error!

Again, Happy New Year!

Brady Westwater said...

I think once you require anyone to use word verification, then you have to do it yourself when it comes to leaving comments, but it sometimes takes awhile before that kicks in. That is what happened to me. I do not think it has anything to do with them not thinking you are real.

I have had BLOGSPOT problems before - and had to reduce the number of posts that were on each page - and the length of your current posts may be what triggered this.

Brady Westwater said...

Sorry. Just realized you said you were getting word verification on your posts and NOT your comments. Working on four computers at one time and what's left of my brain is fried. Yes, that would likely be an anti-spam protection safeguard kicking in.

Peggy said...

Like M.G. said, it's part of Blogger's "anti-splog" campaign. I had the same thing happen, possibly because I was posting a lot of links. I requested a human review, and after a week I got a response that it was "OK" and word verification was removed.

Please don't let it keep you from posting frequently - I'm addicted to your blog and I might go through withdrawal.

Cheryll said...

Gosh, this is scary! How could I go a day without reading the Snark??!

Anonymous said...

I've noticed that you often place marks of punctuation outside the quotation marks. Gaging from the things you write and your profession, I can't imagine that you don't know the rule: They go _inside_. Unless you're British. Are you?

Dave Kuzminski said...

Personally, I would rather see many punctuation marks go outside the quotes except when those clearly belong with the quote. Of course, that creates another whole set of problems.

YinYang said...

I DO believe in Miss Snark, I do, I do! I DO believe in Miss Snark, I do, I do! I DO believe in Miss Snark, I do, I do! I DO believe in Miss Snark...

(how long do I have to keep this up, anyway?)

Mags said...

I DO believe in Miss Snark, I do, I do! I DO believe in Miss Snark, I do, I do! I DO believe in Miss Snark, I do, I do! I DO believe in Miss Snark...

(how long do I have to keep this up, anyway?)

And a belated Happy New Year to you! I love this blog.