12.14.2005

Deal me in

Hi Miss Snark! I'm starting to assemble a list of agents to query. Sometimes I run across an agent that sounds good (eg I see their name in an interview, they have a website, are a member of AAR).

But when I run their name thru the deals database on Publisher's Marketplace no deals appear, or only one or two. Does this mean that they haven't sold anything, or that they don't send deals info to Publishers Marketplace? How many deals per year does a good solid agent make?

Lots of deals don't get reported in Publishers Marketplace. Lots of agents don't have PM memberships or websites either.

PM is ONE way to see what an agent is doing but it doesn't always provide a complete picture.

Some agents make a hundred deals a year, some make ten. If an agent has only two clients, they might not make any. Make no mistake about it, some very good agents only have two clients cause both are very very big name authors with lots of rights sales.

Cross reference the agents' author list with listings on Amazon. Amazon is probably the most complete list of consumer retail trade books in the world. I've never bought a book from them but I use it alllll the time.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never bought a book from them but I use it alllll the time.

C'mon now.

Never?

~Anon Y. Mous

Miss Snark said...

nope, never.
I buy online from Powells.com

But mostly I haunt the library for stuff I need.

Anonymous said...

Cross reference the agents' author list with listings on Amazon. >>>

I fear I am the next nitwit of the day. I have just sent off material to an agent who requested it from my query. I queried her from information in Guide To Literary Agents. Now that there is a possiblity that she might be interested I can find very little information on her. How do I get her author list? I'm afraid if I ask her for it I'll blow my chances of having her represent me if she is interested and is a good agent.

THRILL said...

Thanks for raising the question. I've been meaning to email MS and ask who reports the deals--the publishers or the agents.

THRILL said...

One way is to search the agent's name on the Amazon website. You'll be surprised how many hits you get off the acknowledgements page of author's she represents. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean she still reps that author...

Miss Snark said...

Mostly the agents.

THRILL said...

Thanks!