12.05.2005

F I L K

It's quite amazing what you learn before 9am on any given Monday morning here at Snark Central. I won't tell you what I thought FILK was the first time I saw it, but I'm glad it wasn't that.

Anne's plea in the comment column started us off:

Please, Miss Snark, I'm dying. The office is being dismantled around me and I require an injection of sanity!

I'm not kidding about the office either; we are moving the Wednesday after next, and the office admin, in her wisdom, has decided to get rid of all the furniture...now.

I came in last week to find all my desk drawers gone and my stuff packed into boxes. Today I came in and the printers were on the floor, because she's given away the desks.
Please, post some witty, pithy and erudite dissection of some clueless person's publishing follies, or I shall go mad! I shall!

Oh, the humanity! (And if you know where that quote came from, I will immortalise Killer Yap in filk.)


Well, Killer Yapp is quite fond of being immortal and rushes to google for poodles. He posts:

Origin of "oh the humanity" Roadfood
Now, fork over.

PS what is filik and I hope it tastes good



This morning, Kimi arrives to view the carnage in the comments column and breaks the news:

Yapp..." I will immortalise Killer Yap in filk." Since I know Miss Snark sometimes like to divert her attention from the slush pile I'll do my thing and give you this and she can explain it to you. Honestly Yapp....I don't think you'll like it. :)



Well, KY had hoped he was being rendered immortal in something like marble or at least cheese, but this could be even better: song!!! Of course, there should be a part for the canine voice, don't you think?

KY awaits sheet music. In fact, he's poised at the door right now.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please tell me Ann doesn't work at Warner! "Oh where oh where can my manuscript beeee..."

KLCtheBookWorm said...

Nah, she travels too much to be in charge of manuscripts. ;)

Plus check the Snarkling map; she's in Australia.

Anonymous said...

For origin of "Oh the humanity", see:
http://www.infoplease.com/spot/hindenburg1.html

Berry said...

The origin of "Oh, the humanity!" is Herbert Morrison's radio broadcast from Lakehurst, New Jersey where the zeppelin Hindenburg was attempting to land. We all know what happened next...

Anne Merril said...

Right! I'd always wondered where it came from...

Filking as we speak. What do you think, is KY a fan of Coldplay, or more along the lines of the White Stripes?

Janet McConnaughey said...

Killer Yapp's a poodle dog,*
Doo-dah, doo-dah,
Writing novels on a blog,
Oh, doo-dah day.
Killer Yapp's a Google hound,
Doo-dah, doo-dah.
Look what Killer Yapp has found!
Oh, doo-dah day.

Swilling gin all night,
Writing hard all day.
Heading out to the Snarktown Stomp
When he has time to play.



*That ain't no redundant glitch.
Doo-dah, doo-dah.

--

(Okay, it isn't really filk, either, being non-SFnal parody. So sue me.)

Miss Snark said...

sue? heck no!
I want an mp3 of it.
Miss Snark needs new tracks for her ipod, not to mention Killer Yapp's.

Janet McConnaughey said...

[ahem]
mi, mi mi mi, mimimimimiiiiiiiii

Oh, that's right. I don't have any recording equipment.

Nor, for that matter, a solo voice. As a general rule, I stay safely in the middle of the second altos.

I could create a midi file of the tune, and probably find a way to change that to mp3, but I suspect you've figured out which song it goes to.

Glad ya like it, ma'am.

(The secret of creating parody when it's Too Long After One's Bedtime is using a very simple model. Gilbert and Sullivan should only be attempted when wide awake.)

Janet McConnaughey said...

By the bye,

Since this discussion began with verse and words, I must confess that I've been wondering since this venue was first mentioned on the boards I help moderate: Is Miss Snark a Boojum?

If the question is overly intrusive, let it be withdrawn.

Janet

Miss Snark said...

Miss Snark is a lot of things but a tree isn't one of them.

Does it mean something else?

janetmcc3015@gmail.com said...

I first encountered snarks in The Hunting of the Snark, an Agony in Eight Fits by Lewis Carroll.

As this site notes, the cactusoid boojum tree was named after Carroll's creation.
I believe that Diana Gabaldon has said the scientist in question was an uncle or great-uncle or sumpn. I donno if she's mentioned that on her site, though.