12.05.2005

Im comin' to take a bite out of the big Apple

Miss Snark,

I have a question. I'm a west coast writer and I'm going to NYC in January. The trip had been planned for a while and it has nothing to do with my getting an agent. It is a vacation (I know, New York, in January?). I went to school there and I want to go visit. My question is, I still don't have an agent (three agents are reading the full ms) but is there anything I can do while I'm there to help my search? I'm not going to show up at an agent's doorstep and say "May I see so-and-so, I'm a writer and I need an agent," but is there anything else I can do? I'd appreciate your help on this matter. Thanks.


Check out events where agents are likely to turn up.
Bars, strip clubs, gambling dens .... yanno the usual spots.

MediaBistro lists publishing events.
Womens' National Book Association sponsors events
MaudNewton publishes event listings and readings.

Reading series are all over the place and are free.
Small Press Center holds all sorts of events.

Keep your eyes peeled and go places that book industry people might go.
And you're right to not just show up at the door.
That is prima facie evidence that you're NOT the kind of person I want to work with.

1 comment:

Bonnie Calhoun said...

West coast writer guy, the Small Press center just had their annual Book Fair this past weekend.

I had the good fortune to be there. It's a very unique organization of small and independent publishers that focus on literary publishing.

If they have an event while you're in NYC, go! The atmosphere is great!