12.02.2005

Miss Snark the Phenom...

Miss Snark,
What is your readership? You seem to be quite a phenomenon. Do you know the actual numbers? And are you surprised that so many people have become slaves to your blog, or is this what you expected all along?


Expected all along? Yes, my evil plan to enslave the blogosphere is taking shape nicely. Don't resist the urge to send cash. The more you send, the better you'll feel.

My sense of who reads this comes from three places: the email I get; the comment trail; and most interestingly, talk about this blog on other blogs.

You see a lot of the email I get cause I post it: questions. Some of the other email I get is from regular readers who send my hilarious jokes, or people with questions that are too individual to answer on the blog. Very few poison pen emails, for which I'm profoundly grateful.

The comment trail turns up novice writers, devoted readers of genre fiction, the occasional publishing professional and a lot of people who should be baking cookies instead of making Miss Snark snort coffee out her nose at 9am.

The people talking about this blog on other blogs are the most amusing. They fall into two groups: people who read the blog and seem to like it; and, people who think Miss Snark is the anti-Christ. You can easily see who they are by googling "miss snark". You'll get about 130,000 hits but only 200 or so listings.

At the bottom of the blog you'll see a site counter. It counts up the number of hits per day, week and month. Right now the blog averages about 2000 hits a day. There are spikes (for example when this was mentioned on Galleycat there was a huge spike) and there are lulls (days I'm busy bailing myself out of jail and not posting).

My sense of the people who participate in this blog by virtue of reading and writing back is that we are a community, bound by the same interests. We love to read, we're not shy about expressing our opinions, we enjoy spiffy language and zesty style, and all think Killer Yapp is the cat's pajamas.

12 comments:

kitty said...

Any reason why we can't view the hit meter stats?

Miss Snark said...

I dunno...do you want to?
It never dawned on me that anyone would look.

Anonymous said...

Kinky!

Carter said...

My cat, Killer Yowl, says that Killer Yapp would make a nice, warm set of pajamas.

Harry Connolly said...

Well, it would let us tell when you became so popular that you were not cool any more.

:-)

Bonnie Calhoun said...

Well yea!! We'd like to see the stats also!

Anonymous said...

Harry! Shame! Ms Snark is the coolest thing since Gin Martinis.

Toni McGee Causey said...

I had used sitemeter myself for a while, then put up a statcounter.com stat thingie on my site and found it to be astonishingly more accurate. It's also free, just as easy, and gives you a clear idea of where everyone is coming from, what the most popular page is, keyword search history (most common used, etc.) I had one funny entry which was linked to by a few people and I got a flood of hits. Statcounter.com's hit counter showed almost 7 times the number of unique visiters over those shown by sitemeter. Just an FYI.

(http://electricmist.net)

KillerYapp said...

Carter, your cat is a pussy.

Miss Snark said...

Thanks for the info on the site stats, and the new counter. It's installed, bottom left on the blog. Kinda cool!

Caryn said...

I love Statcounter. Especially fun is the Keyword Analysis part, which tells you how people found your site. Weird searches lead people to my site.

According to Technorati, 287 other sites link to this one. And those are just the active links, not people reading through an RSS feed or bookmarking you in their Favorites.

Toni McGee Causey said...

You're welcome, Miss Snark. Happy to help.