12.07.2005

Snort Shories...hiccup...Sport Flories..err.. Short Stories

Miss Snark,

In reading your Blog today I came across your suggestion to pen short stories in the interim while a novel percolates... are published short stories a must to get representation?

I've been clinging to the New Testament According to Snark that says "If the writing's great, that's all that matters," is this not entirely the case? I've "published" some short works, but only on the web for various eZines... do I need to now consider short pieces as well before I begin to shop my novel around in the New Year?

Thanks! Plus, it's too early for gin, how about a Mocha Gin latte instead? That's something I could go for.


No, you don't need to publish short stories. It helps, but it's not required.

Killer Yapp "Mocha lattes are for pussies. Real Dawgs drink Rejection Letters no ice."

8 comments:

Simon Haynes said...

The good thing about short stories is that you can write a lot of them in the time it takes to write a novel, and you can ship them all over the place simultaneously. If you sell one or more to print markets it's a good indication that you can write - not just to prospective editors and agents, but to yourself.
It's also much easier to trunk a short story once it's been rejected two dozen times. Writers are a lot less willing to trunk a whole novel.
I admit I'm biased... I went the short story route before attempting to sell a novel. Once I'd had a handful published in mags like Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine I gained enough confidence in my own writing to prepare a final-final-final draft of my novel and submit it around the traps.

kitty said...

"Trunk"? Definition, s’il vous plait.

Miss Snark said...

ashcan, junk, delete.
alt: stow away under the bed away from prying eyes

Simon Haynes said...

As in the dusty old trunk in the attic. (I used the word 'trunk' in my submission tracking software and then had to answer endless queries about what it meant. Relax - you're not alone on this one ;-)

kitty said...

Got'cha ;) Merci!

Anonymous said...

Killer Yap sounds like he needs a Zanex.

Gabriele C. said...

My 3 novel projects are all historical fiction, but I write shorts stories in between, mostly horror and paranormal (and paranormal erotica). One is already published, and I have some more I plan to send out. Are the genres of those shorts of any significance, or do publications alone count no matter how different they are compared to my novels?

Cheryll said...

That 'trunk' is where MY first novel has resided for 30+ years, because it suffered from just about ALL the ills of first novels...it was so bad it qualified as toxic waste and the local trash company does not accept said products...and air quality control doesn't allow burning...and it must reside under my bed instead of in the storage unit, due to their rules banning fertilizer.

As a result, I must file yearly onsite toxic materials reports with my fire department...

Perhaps it is no real wonder that I stick to non-fiction nowadays...