12.07.2005

When Nitwit is the best choice

Oh grand and snarkolicious wise one, forgive me for I have sinned. I, being weak, was impetuous and acted with undue haste. I did NOT wait until I had finished my tenth revision --as you have so wisely recommended-- and have now found several glaring errors in pages I sent to an agent who requested the material. Yikes! Should I call this agent, confess, and ask if I may re-submit? While gin provides solace, it gives no answers. Perhaps I need more.

Glaring errors? As opposed to smiling ones?
That will teach you not to listen to Miss Snark won't it (glaring at writer).
And, as much as it pains me to say this, LESS gin is probably the answer here.

This happens more times that Miss Snark wants you to know.

You send the corrected pages with a cover letter saying you overlooked some errors and these are the corrected pages.

It's better to be a nitwit than a crappy writer.

Now, repeat after me: revise, rest, revise, rest, revise, rest.

4 comments:

Sonarbabe said...

I am ashamed to admit it, but a few typos slipped past me while doing the 10th revision. I don't know HOW they did, but they did. Of course, I realized my faux pas 2 MONTHS after sending out the ms., so I can only hope and pray that the agent won't tell me to take a long walk off a short pier because of it. (I have, naturally fixed said typos) Does the advice for this entry work in this case as well? They weren't huge issues, maybe 3 or 4 words at max.

Anonymous said...

I have a good line editor who I pay. I always have her run through my manuscript even after I think I have caught all errors. It is worth the money. It's amazing what she catches...can you say homonym horrors?

Rick said...

What's really scary are the errors that slip past everyone ... except each and every reader who picks up the printed book.

James Goodman said...

I am a big fan of using Beta Readers. It seems like I am just too married to my work. Even when I let it sit for a week and revisit it, I don't catch some of the errors that my Beta Readers do.