1.22.2006

Benched!

Dearest Miss Snark,

I'm in a quandary. I entered a contest. My category does not have enough entries to continue.

I can move to a secondary category or cancel, but if I final ( a big if, sure, but still a possibility) the editor reading my sub won't be one who specializes in my main genre. (yea, well that never stops Miss Snark from flinging her opinion at people)

My question isn't so much about this, though. My question is, would it be worth it to email the editor who was supposed to be the final round judge in my category, explain the situation, and ask them to look at my sub anyway, on the theory that they set aside time to judge, so might be willing to spare a few minutes for my sub?

Would this be seen as a cute, ballsy move, and therefore impressive, or as an irritating, "remember her name so I never accept anything from her, ever" kind of move?

What would you think, faced with such a request?



I'd delete it and laugh. Then I'd enroll you in Killer Yapp's Bite of the Month club. He takes you to lunch...you're the appetizer.

Mostly agents and editors hate judging contests. It's a lot of work for mostly zero gain. If we get lucky and get sprung from doing it cause there weren't enough entries, the only thing we want to do is cheer.

However, if this editor accepts unagented queries, it's more than ok to query and mention you were one of the few, the proud, the unjudged, and see if she's got a larger percentage of nice than Miss Snark does (0%).

You don't need to win a contest to get an agent's attention. Write well. That's it.
No tricks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

However, if this editor accepts unagented queries, it's more than ok to query and mention you were one of the few, the proud, the unjudged, and see if she's got a larger percentage of nice than Miss Snark does (0%).


This actually was more along the lines of what I meant (I certainly wasn't going to write and say, "Hey, I know you have a little free time now, so here you go!") :-)

Thanks!