Dear Miss Snark,
Okay, here's the deal. Early in December a publisher emailed a request to review my manuscript. So I hopped up and down and sent it off. I decided to wait until the first of February to contact them if I hadn't heard back.
But lo and behold my server company had a melt down. My email as well author site were down for four days (granted, two were weekend days). GOD ALMIGHTY, what if they tried to contact me?
Should I contact them now and say "Just checking in 'cause my server went boom" or do I just wait until the end of the month? I mean the holidays probably slowed 'em down and stuff, so they probably didn't finish it yet, but, Guh. Y
es, I'm a quarter of the way into my next novel so I'm not completely paralyzed by this.
Go to your kitchen.
Get the calendar off the wall.
Bring it to the computer.
Now. Look at the day you circled in red. The day you sent the ms off to the publisher.
Now, along with me count.
and keep going
until you get to 90.
90 days is the MINIMUM amount of time for a full length novel.
Considering there was all that holiday madness, you really should count to 114.
However, Miss Snark understands your pain. She doesn't feel it, of course, but she understands it.
On day 90 you may email.
Now, as to whether they've tried to contact you
1. on a weekend during Christmas
the answer is no, and no.
Even if hell froze over here in New York and they DID try to email you with an offer, they aren't going to let a little Cyberian wilderness get in their way; they'll try again. We understand server meltdown. We may want to write with foolscap and a feather quill, but we don't. We have trudged into the 21st century grudgingly, but we ARE here...sorta.