1.11.2006

Fifth Floor, foundation garments

Another question for you, about the dullest topic in the world: stamps.
Does it look very unprofessional to use extra stamps to get a 37 cent up to snuff, or should I just break down and buy the new ones and save the old for personal letters?

I know it seems so trivial, but I once read an article on interviewers--something like 73% said they wouldn't hire an applicant who had unprofessional shoes--and I thought that maybe stamps were the shoes of the publishing world.


Stamps are not shoes.

FONTS are shoes.

So is double spacing, printing on one side of the page and correct margins.
Stamps however are like your underpants. I don't care what they are as long as you've got them ON.

8 comments:

kathie said...

Fonts are shoes. So that's my problem. Ha! I think it's time for one of your famous "Just write well and get on with it," responses.

Molly said...

Stamps however are like your underpants. I don't care what they are as long as you've got them ON.

There go the prospects of half the chick lit and romance world. :)

Mad Scientist Matt said...

Yanno, I was wondering about this question myself. I have a batch of querry letters lined up now and was wondering whether I could use my stock of 37's on them with two cent make up stamps.

I.J.Parker said...

Oh, very nice, Miss Snark! One of the diamonds found fairly regularly on this blog. :)

Christa M. Miller said...

If fonts are shoes, do agents and editors prefer to see Manolos or Oxfords?

Oh wait - Oxford font, Manolo writing? Is that the key?

Anonymous said...

BWAAAAH!

I had a mental picture of all those MS in my office running around "commando style" like some x-rated version of Spongebob Squarepants.

I was in that picture. I had a Louisville Slugger and a a big toothy grin.

BWAH-HA-HA-HA!!!

E. Ann Bardawill said...

Thank you for not extending the underpants/stamp analogy to lickable vs sticky argument.

crosseyed reader said...

"Stamps however are like your underpants. I don't care what they are as long as you've got them ON."

Thank you so much for this comment. I now have a squeaky clean monitor where my morning coffee once dripped.