1.21.2006

Miss Snark Scores...or not

Miss Snark,

this is a bit off the beaten path, but I think somewhere on the blog you work with composers and such, so...I've seen some agents' sites that say they agent musicians as well as writers. What kind of music is this? I have a piece for conert band I'd like to get published, and I was wondering if these were the people to turn to, or if they really only do 'pop' music. There's very little I can find about the symphonic music publishing industry, so any insight would be great.

Music publishing isn't like book publishing at all. The money is handled much differently and very few scores are actually published and sold compared to the number of music CDs.

Most composers I know publish their own scores. With the new computer programs its pretty easy. They license performance rights for it off their websites.

I don't know a single agent who works in publishing who also handles publishing of music. Books about music, yes, but not scores.

If you need to find out more about this, check out the American Music Center

1 comment:

C.E. Petit said...

This is not legal advice for any particular situation. (Sorry, the bar authorities say I have to assume that you're all first-graders. Particularly stupid first-graders.)

You can do a lot worse than reading Richard Stim's excellent Music Law (4th ed.) and Donald Passman's less clear and less well written, but more comprehensive (and still accessible to the non-lawyer) All You Need to Know about the Music Business (5th ed.). Both of these books should be available through your public library system. I believe that serious composers (that is, likely to ever publish more than two or three pieces) should have one or the other on their bookshelves; choose the one that works best for you and your situation.