1.29.2006

Miss Snark's Homily for Sunday morning

Dear Miss Snark;

I've been thinking about the question you answered the other day concerning FT vs PT authors and income, and I'm curious.

Have you ever had a client who DIDNT want fame and fortune through their writings? I'm sure there are those who write independent of their incomes, but does any writer actually go out of their way to avoid having their name attached to statements etc? Perhaps a living writer, who donated work prehumously so to speak, just to see it in print.

Probably a nitwit qualifier question, huh. Just wondering, since in my best fantasies of eventual publishment my daydreams become nightmares of taxes, insurance, and the evil IRS boojums. (I'm really not an outlaw Miss Snark, but like to stay very low profiled hehe) Yours in Snarkiness,


Two words: Thomas Pynchon
Three words: John Twelve Oaks
Four words: James Frey, (he wishes)

Five words: Don't fear the unknown future.

And just a few more: Just write. Write well. That's all. Don't spend a single moment worrying about what anyone else will say or do, or what the future will hold. Just write. If you love to write, write. The rest will fall into place. I promise.

9 comments:

Lauren Baratz-Logsted said...

"Just write. Write well. That's all. Don't spend a single moment worrying about what anyone else will say or do, or what the future will hold. Just write. If you love to write, write. The rest will fall into place. I promise."

Miss Snark, will you marry me?

Jen said...

OK, so I admit it. This is a big reason I don't submit as much as I should. I worry and obsess. Not over keeping a low profile, but over other stuff, mainly taxes and the like. All I can say is "Yikes!"

And I'll (try to) stop obsessing.

Cheryll said...

So, okay, it's been a long time since I was writing and selling books...but I don't think a couple hundred bucks -- or if you really hit the jackpot, a couple thou -- is going to raise your tax bracket much.

Maybe John Grisham gets 5- or 6-figure advances, but the average beginning writer isn't gonna.

Besides which, you just file a Schedule C and deduct expenses (supplies, equipment depreciation, software, ISP, office in the home, etc.) and that pretty well uses up an writing income, LOL.

Or has the amount of the average trade paperback advance inflated to match the rising cost of milk?

Just wondering if I should worry that my social security will be docked if I start writing books again....

Bernita said...

Now I worry if I'm lacking something essential because I DON'T expect fame and fortune...

I.J.Parker said...

Ah, such faith in the ultimate good taste of publisher and public!
I think we've had some recent examples that fame/infamy are what leads to an author's success.

Miss Snark said...

I'm sorry Lauren, I must decline. I'm living chastely as I await Mr. Clooney's offer of matrimony.

KillerYapp said...

chaste, my delicate pink snout.
Chased is more like it. She's chasing him I mean. It's really getting embarrassing having to RUN on the end of a leash up Park Ave chasing that Clooney dog's limo

Elektra said...

Just wondering--what is the 'this-is-what-you'll-probably-get' advance for a first time writer? I've heard ten thousand, but perhaps that's too high/

Sherry said...

"Just write. Write well. That's all. Don't spend a single moment worrying about what anyone else will say or do, or what the future will hold. Just write. If you love to write, write. The rest will fall into place. I promise."

I have printed this out and have it taped above my computer screen! Thanks.