1.14.2006

Profitable scams

And speaking of writer's magazines, I subscribe to one writing magazine which I think best answers my needs. Each month I receive offers from 10 to 20 (no hyperbole here) magazines or schools. It tells me that there is probably more money in scamming writers than in writing.
Comment?


Let's run the math. I get 100 query letters a week. Figure the "susceptible to scam" rate is an arbitrary 10%. That means 10 people a week would probably pay me a reading fee if I said I'd read and critique their manuscript. Or enroll in a class. Or subscribe to my "tips sheet".

Figure I charge them $100. Ok, $1000 a WEEK, four weeks a month, 10 months a year. $40,000 to do nothing but tell people how smart I am.

Easy money huh!

golly.

Of course people do this. And the people who DO are the ones who AREN'T doing deals. They're too busy ripping you off to pitch books and follow up on movie rights. Cause that you know involves actual...work. Knowledge of the industry. Contacts.

Any fool with a copy machine and a postage meter can "review your manuscript". My question is, can they sell it?

Legitimate agents don't need you to pay your way. We sell your work, and earn a living doing so. We may have to work harder, but the perks are better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dang.

I'm in the wrong business.

Honesty and a conscience doth make me not at all freakin' rich.

But then I stay outta jail and the food services industry so that's something.

Thanks for all the industry dish crossed with common sense.

--A writer/editor,
love you, love K.Y. and I see whatcha mean by Geo. Clooney. Woof.