1.16.2006

When to Query

I have a novel that is almost complete and there are three editors who have requested it. One has gone as far as to request it while it's still a WIP. She's read two installments. I know this doesn't mean a sale, far from it, but I'd like to know if it's too soon to query an agent? It's children's lit. Thanks.


Now is good. Include the names of the editors who are looking at it in your query letter so an agent knows you aren't just whistling Dixie about people being interested.

If it's a kids book I assume it involves snot, underpants and fart jokes? Why do those still amuse me? Only in books of course; I ride the subway too often to be amused by those things "en flagrant delecto".

4 comments:

Pixel Faerie said...

I love the snot spotted underware you are farting in jokes. :) No wonder why I write kids books.

M. G. Tarquini said...

I've written some for kids and the boogers have to be there. Also words like squishy. The grosser the better, words to live by in kid writing.

Kelsey said...

I admit, my MG novel has basically a whole chapter devoted to donkey poop.

Elektra said...

I feel so left out!
The only time I ever wrote a kid's novel was when I was about ten. It actually got some editors' responses (probably as a novelty--'look at what some kid actually sent in!'), which, sadly, is more than I can say for my book now...