1.29.2006

Yo! Colleagues!

Do you take email queries?
Do you reply with your auto-signature?
Does that signature include links to your author's websites, and mention upcoming books?

Think about how that looks to someone who's hearing "not right for me".

Yuckola.

Email is cold and tone-deaf enough without adding to the misery of people by shoving their faces into links of people whose work was right for you.

And don't get me started on links to your own books about how to get published. That rant needs to simmer for awhile before it's cool enough to post.

5 comments:

mkcbunny said...

This is a good rant.

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for saying that, Miss Snark. I received one of those the other day. Tacky, tacky, tacky. Not only does it put me off that agency, it puts me off the author they were touting, too.

Brady Westwater said...

How about PODCASTING queries? Can't get any more personal than that....

serena said...

Oh, right on. I am an artist, myself, and I have actually received fundraising letters from organizations which have just refused my grant proposal. Bless you.

Anonymous said...

I've received two of those tacky ads for 'How to Get Published' books - in my own SASEs! I couldn't believe these agencies used my dime for their direct mail campaign!

Thanks for writing this.