2.14.2006

Are You Putting Out Your Own Shingle?

Ms Snark, (and AgentC, I presume) I know
you've said the Hollywood is really something a writer should leave to the experts.

But here's this story. This relatively unknown writer who's with a major agent gets a major pre-empt deal for his novel, making him a writer who's gonna be known. In a chat room, another guy who's worked a long time in the Hollywood movie biz says congratulations to the writer and then says to the writer to contact Hollywood talent agencies immediately while the buzz is on. That is to say, he recommends the writer to contact the head of agencies directly himself via fax immediately while the deal is a major buzz, mentioning the pre-empt in order to get a feeding frenzy going.

What's your take on this?


What does your agent say? If you asked your agent, do you think they would get mad b/c it might seem you are trying to do his/her job? Do you think your agent intends to send your mss out while the buzz is strong or after? Yep. Uh-huh. There's your answer. Especially with movie business. Ask. Your. Agent. Oh, and one more thing. Would the chatty movie-guy gain anything by having you, the author, take your mss to the movie-vultures without your agent? Probably.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Miss Snark:

Related Q: I have a novel coming out soon with a NY house. When the ms sold, several major film studios via their scouts showed interest. My publisher has rights to negotiate all subrights in this area. I am in the dark about all this; should I or only my agent ask my editor: "Hey, how's it going on the film rights?" Or will that seem pushy? (I have a super working relationship with my editor, btw.)

I am very happy that the book is soon to be published. Do I just let this film thing ride as it will, or intervene now and then (ie, every six months or so)?

Thanks!

Sha'el, Princess of Pixies said...

As I posted elsewhere on this blog, I know nothing about the publishing business. I don't wish to know. I want an agent who knows. It'd be nice if she/he liked goats and oreos, but it's not essential. I really just want them to do their stuff and do it well.

Why, if one finds an agent willing to represent them to the confusing world of publishing, would you want to do their job?