2.01.2006

Clippings -not just for poodles anymore!

Miss Snark, I am devoted member of the devotion of Snarklings!

A question: I recently retired (threw out the kids and their dirty clothes, etc.) and began collecting writers' guidelines from print and other serials, with an eye to making some pin money while I decide whether I want to write the Great American Novel in my -- er -- golden years.

It's been a long time (20+ years) since I did much article writing for paying magazines, and I had forgotten that editors would like clippings!

I don't have much of anything like that any more (she wailed). When my husband retired, we closed the business, leased the house, moved overseas...to the South Pacific! We moved back. He died. I remarried and moved 2000 miles. Etc.,etc.

Can I just use that excuse, and maybe send a few of the original files (thank God for Macs!), or should I just write some more stuff for the non-paying venues and collect those clippings? (And what if my current venues are mostly electronic?)


First, my body of knowledge is book publishing, not magazine or article publishing/writing/editing. That said, I can tell you that reviews from books that are old (like more than 20+ years) don't carry much weight with me. Here's why: today's book reader isn't the same as the 1986 reader. What sold then probably isn't going to sell now. Yes writing quality matters, but if you've got a pool of people who ALL have good writing you're going to go with the person who's demonstrated they can write successfully for today's reader in today's market.

So, I'd get busy and get some current clips. And electronic clips are easy. Copy, cut, paste. Badda bing badda boom.

That South Seas thing sounds pretty nice right about now. Do they let poodles in?

10 comments:

Cheryll said...

"That South Seas thing sounds pretty nice right about now. Do they let poodles in?"

Ermmm -- sartorial style aside...what counts in the Solomon Islands is whether a dog can sing in multiple harmonies.

Yep. Most island dogs are semi-ferrel, or wannabe. About 2am they begin to sing. The one who starts in is usually in a minor key, others join in from up and down the ravines, in the brush, under the porch or in the middle of the street, in the tropical moonlight.

The tempo and harmonies build and then one solo soprano obligato floats over the top of all this racket.

And about the time you've pulled on some clothes to go out and shoo them further down the road so you can get back to sleep...every dog will stop, in mid-note, exactly together.

Silence that makes your ears pop.

Did they come to the end of the song? How did they know it was the end? Did somedoggy hit a sour note and shock the others? Every night, several times a night?

Was living in a tropical paradise without TV, without radio, without newspapers, and with mail only two days a week when the plane came...if it came -- did that make us just a teeny bit stimulus deprived????

I'm sure KY has tried his hand -- er, voice -- as a solo artist, but is he ready for choirs?

That is the question.

Simon Haynes said...

Don't know about everyone else, but to me it's bloody scary to see 1986 mentioned as '20 years ago'
Still seems like yesterday.

Renee said...

Simon, what's even scarier to me is how fast the next 20 will go...

Mark said...

1986 doesn't phase me in the least. I was there. I know how long ago it was.

Simon Haynes said...

Quick, let's change the subject. D'you hear about that guy who LIED in his memoirs? Can you believe it?

kitty said...

Since the topic of magazines has come up ...

Could anyone here recommend magazines for fiction stories?

Anonymous said...

simon, I so identify with the 1986 phenomenon....

mark... you meant 'faze', non?

(sorry, after teaching english for all these years I correct cumpulsively....

Anonymous said...

"cumpulsively"=compulsively. ;)

-second anonymous

Sal said...

kitty sed ... Since the topic of magazines has come up ... Could anyone here recommend magazines for fiction stories?

What kind of fiction stories and do you want to get paid or is fame enough?

kitty said...

Sal: Mostly women's fiction. I write commercial as opposed to literary. Right now my priority is to get published; the money can follow.