International Man of Mystery

Miss Snark,

A few weeks ago, I landed a well-known agent who has been in the business for over thirty years. While I have seen several of his deals with major publishing houses posted in PM, he doesn't have a website and doesn't seem to flaunt his agency. He keeps a low profile, it seems. He only takes referals from clients, and it appears he runs his operation solo.
His e-mails are not longer than one or two sentences. He's a mystery.

That begs the question: Could a successful literary agent thrive without having a paramount Internet presence?


Does Phil Spitzer have a website?
A cursory google didn't turn up anything. Phil is probably THE guy for mysteries, and a darn nice man to boot.

I'm sure there are others but I'll let the Snarklings fetch some more examples.


Molly said...

Steve Axelrod.

Waylander said...

Howard Morhaim

Existential Man said...

Mary Evans.

Summer Ryan Doyle said...

Kathy Robbins

Anonymous said...

If you'll go down Gerard Jones' first page or two of literary agents, you'll find that about 1/3 of those who have links, have nothing up as a homepage, merely a "coming soon" placeholder.

~Anoni Moose

PS - Phil Sptizer was the first name that came to my mind too. He does have another agent working with him, at least he did as of last fall.

Anonymous said...

Susan Schulman.

Heidi said...

Andrea Cirillo.

I am moderately frustrated by the lack of agency web pages.

Living in Perth, Western Australia, it's difficult to get my hands on in-depth and current agent info from the "traditional" sources.

I can accept if they don't take e-queries if that's their business model, but I'd like to see agents with web pages of info. Most of what I can find that's not from the horse's mouth is a year or two out of date, or "rumour" quality (say, friend-of-a-friend heard something on WM).

Verification: Ray had be.
But den, I habe a code.