2.10.2006

Miss Snark Reveals Her Secrets

I have been published but was orphaned. First my line closed, then my editor left the editor world. In my agent search should I tell the agent my ex-editor once called my writing "quirky"? To her it was a good thing apparently, but I've never been certain I should pass that info on.



Well, if you are querying Miss Snark, you bet. As any reader of this blog knows, Miss Snark is into strange and weird. Quirky is a sort of genteel version of that, but it's appealing.

However, if you do not know an agent is into that, take a look at his/her website. Watch for the adjectives and adverbs the agent uses to describe the work s/he likes. Use those to describe your work if at all possible. Sort of like mirroring...when you cross your arms and tilt toward your honeybunch after he crosses his arms and leans toward you. Mirroring is an effective negotiation tool; Miss Snark uses it with officers of the law frequently.

5 comments:

wfzimmerman said...

Sounds a lot like the other negotiation tool known as 'kissing up'.

Anonymous said...

Mirroring...Miss Snark uses it with officers of the law frequently.

My wife uses chocolates, quite effectively. FYI for those not sure they can measure up to Miss Snark's psychological persuasiveness.

Christa M. Miller said...

You could also go on agentquery.com, type "quirky" in the search box, and then go through the 12 pages' worth of agents who come up as handling it.... (Love that site!)

Anonymous said...

kinky is only a few telling letters off from quirky, dontcha know, and so close it could almost be the same thing, depending on your twist, right, Miss S? Unfortunately, I don't think either is a legitimate search item on agentquery.com

Sal said...

anonymous said ...

kinky is only a few telling letters off from quirky, dontcha know, and so close it could almost be the same thing, depending on your twist, right, Miss S? Unfortunately, I don't think either is a legitimate search item on agentquery.com

"Quirky" is indeed a legitimate search term on agentquery.com.

The only match agentquery.com returns for "kinky" is David Vigliano, the agent for Kinky Friedman.