2.21.2006

P and E statements

Hi there Miss Snark

Thanks so much for keeping the blog going -- I do love it.

I often read the acknowlegements page in books to trawl for agents' names. In one I picked up recently, the author thanked her editor and her publisher. I was wondering: what is the difference; what does each one do for the book and what contact do they have with the author?

Thanks so much!


Sorry about the absence. I was away working on a Chapter 14 Mission: rescuing the Free World from an alien invasion.

Publisher is both "the company that produced and sold my book" and the actual person who runs the company. In cases such as with Random House, Penguin Group and other Big Ass Companies, publisher is a title, somewhat like Vice President.

The editor is (generally) the person who does the editing work and is your go to person for solving editorial problems. The publisher is the chief decision maker generally--the one who had to say "yes" for your book to be bought.

The bigger the company, the less likely you'll work with the publisher in any meaningful way. The bigger your book, the more likely. Put both those on a graph for some 3D viewing pleasure.

The publisher makes it all happen, the editor makes sure that what's happening is a good product.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I'm very grateful that you took time out from your hectic agent-disguise to don the cape and tights to rescue us! "Hark! Hark! Here's SuperSnark!" (Magz)

Audiate said...

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Didn't Miss Snark post something about not bothering to have a professional editor work on the ms BEFORE querying because editing (or recommending editing) was part of the agent's job?

My punctuation and sentence structure, beyond the basics, is not up to snuff and I would hate to have that detract from the story itself?

Mama Rose said...

anon--if your punctuation and sentence structure is not up to snuff, I'd suggest you go learn how to write well-conscructed sentences and punctuate properly. That's part of your job as a writer.

Think about various jobs and what's required. Do you think the people doing them would keep their jobs if they said, "I think I'll hire a pro to do that part of my job because I don't know how to do it very well?"

One of the things I've observed that's different from pro writers I've met and a lot of those who haven't made it yet is that the pros acted like pros before they sold anything. They learned whatever they had to learn. I know one pro writer who's dyslexic and she's worked very hard to learn the finer points of grammar, etc. If we unpubs do less, how can we expect to become published authors?

Linda