2.16.2006

Thank you spelled out in chocolate kisses?

Dear Miss Snark and/or Agent C,

My agent has just negotiated a very good two-book deal for me (my first sale) and I am thrilled, delighted, dancing on air...yanno. Bearing in mind that we're new to each other (I just signed with her last fall and haven't yet actually met her in person), and that our relationship to date is very cordial but chiefly business-like, what is an appropriate way to express my happiness and gratitude apart from the effusive verbal thanks I've already given her? Sorry, I'm not planning on any more children so naming one after her won't work. Nor do I know if gin is her tipple of choice. How can one appropriately thank an agent for doing her job well? What is the etiquette here?



Well first of all you're going to thank her in the acknowledgments of your book. And not in the also ran, middle of the paragraph along with your second grade teacher Sister Prunehilda who taught you to diagram sentences.

Other than that you hand write her a card. You address it by hand. You mail it to her.
You take a picture of yourself holding a sign that says "I couldn't have done it without you" and you email it to her so she can look at on bad days.
Then you send her a red feather boa.

But mostly you just say thanks and on the really bad days (and there will be some) you send her an email that says "I'm glad to be on your team".

4 comments:

kathie said...

Congratulations, whoever you are!!! What great news that your latest writerly obsession is how to thank your agent. Awesome.

Miss P AKA Her Royal Cliqueness said...

Okay this is scary!

I could have written this post. From the two book deal to the time frame they've been with their agent, this post sounds like my own experience.

Someone must have sent it on my behalf, trying to give me a hint.

Shoot, maybe my agent sent it.

Ooh, I better Fed Ex that red feather boa.

Marissa Doyle said...

Thank you very much, Miss Snark!

No, Miss P., your agent didn't write this letter--I guess we're just living parallel lives :)

Miss P AKA Her Royal Cliqueness said...

Whew, thank God Marissa. I was beginning to think maybe I wrote this while sleep walking.

Congrats!