3.27.2006

Do Me a Favor...

so, you're sending follow up emails to agents, or you're responding to an email from an agent.
Checked your spam blocker lately?

I cannot tell you how much I hate being asked to fill out little forms when I'm responding to an email from someone asking for information from me. You started the conversation, I'm not spamming you by sending a reply.

If you have spam problems, set up a clean email account and use it exclusively for your publishing stuff. Either that or double check that you've added my email to your ok list.

Kristin Nelson mentioned this in her response about e-queries. If her reply to you bounces back, she doesn't fill out the "please let me email you" form. She deletes it.

Just a word to the savvy query writer on this lovely Monday morning.

10 comments:

Dave Kuzminski said...

I fully agree. In fact, I also maintain a special email account that's given out only for special purposes so that it doesn't get filled with spam.

litagent said...

DITTO

Eden said...

Oh amen. There are few things more frustrating than an acceptance letter getting bounced back at you. Makes me want to change it to a rejection.

Anonymous said...

I get this from readers, too--they write me an email about my books, then that form pops up. I delete it--I'm not jumping through hoops to reply. And then don't forget when the return receipt thing that shows you've read the email...I never reply to them unless it IS my agent or publisher.

John said...

O, why be so grumpy? Set up a "clean" email account. Guess how long it will stay that way?

You probably don't have to fill out the form anyway. My spamblocker (Earthlink) sticks mail from unrecognized sources in a suspect- mail folder that I can and do check; it doesn't just flush them. I get stuff in there all the time from people whose correspondence I want; I just instruct the spamblocker to allow it from then on.

Anonymous said...

I agree, however...there are still those email applications that--despite a friend has added your address to their current list--will inevitably ask for your confirmation. Mostly, these are the 'free' accounts such as yahoo or hotmail, not always. Still, I believe the best way is to simply, snail mail a query and leave the email communications for when you have signed on with an agent.

Aelf'en said...

Yes! I hate those things. And it's not as though free email addys are hard to come by these days.

Anonymous said...

I hate hotmail. I've seen it bounce messages from websites people signed up for themselves. There is such a thing as too strict a filter...

Brady Westwater said...

G-mail is free and 99.5% SPAM free.

BuffySquirrel said...

What we found at NFG was that the worst bouncer of our email responses to contributors was AOL. Not only that, but the bounce message told us it was OUR fault for spamming their customers.

I used to put notes in user accounts asking people to use any email address other than their AOL one...with mixed results.