3.12.2006

Evidence of Divine Mercy: Rick Bass

Should any of you wonder on this fine Sunday morning whether God exists, is dead, or just playing dice with the universe I offer up proof of divine mercy: Miss Snark has not been struck dead for failing to mention Rick Bass.

Rick Bass is a fabulous writer. I've known his work for years but somehow never managed to mention him before. Yes I should be taken out at dawn and shot.

I was reminded of this travesty when I read his piece in Narrative magazine on being shy. (you have to sign up but it's free and they only want an email address)

What he talks about in the essay applies to about six recent posts. Just read it. Then buy his books. You'll notice I don't say go the library. The thing about libraries is they make you give the books back and Rick Bass is an author you want to own. I'm sure he's written crap somewhere, sometime, but I've never seen it.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Read zero of them. Been "meaning" to read The March, and A Sudden Country.
Now I will. Great list. Thanks for passing it on.

Mark said...

I've read Bass for years. He writes by hand with a pen since they don't have electricity save for a generator used sparingly. We're in the same sort of business: environment writing, although I'm inside working for government agencies in the field, but his positions are valid. Some get away with first person wistful observations easier than others. I suppose it's in the art of the presentation moreso than the reporting. I like the grizzly bear search in Colorado with Doug Peacock the best. The Montana writers of this sort are a small closeknit group based in Livingston and stem from Ed Abbey like Peacock. Artist Russll Chatham helps too he owns Clark City Press.

Miss Audrey said...

What a wonderful essay. I'm not shy, but Mr. Bass touched on so much more than mere shyness. I was enamored by his descriptions and wonderful humor. And how I could relate to his feelings of hopelessness as a writer to actually become one, and his feelings of inadequacy and his sense of never going to arrive. I'm not out mowing lawns for free yet, so I'm thinking that maybe I just don't want it bad enough...

Michelle Richmond said...

Miss Snark,

Glad you mentioned Bass, particularly that wonderful essay. And as for the baby, hey, thanks, I think he's pretty cute too!

Michelle Richmond said...

Miss Snark,

I'm glad you mentioned Bass, esp. the shyness essay. On behalf of the baby (Oscar), hey, thanks!

archer said...

I never even heard of him. I am now a convert. Thank you.