3.27.2006

Miss Snark Says

Miss Snark,

You often give permission for people to quote you in contacting their agents (admittedly more often the poorly performing ones).

This gave rise to a question, which is more curiosity than anything else. Have you ever received something from a writer, quoting the venerable, wise, and ever-so-witty Miss Snark?


I've had colleagues quote me to me. The first time it happened I damn near spilled my gin.

I've gotten query letters referencing things said on the blog but not "Miss Snark says".

And several of my colleagues have gotten emails saying "I know you're Miss Snark but I promise I'll never tell --wink wink" which is of course hilarious in the extreme cause they're...wrong.

It's great to know that lots of people feel the blog is helpful to them. I have such a good time writing it that it's just a big bonus that's its also actually useful.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great to know that lots of people feel the blog is helpful to them. I have such a good time writing it that it's just a big bonus that's its also actually useful.

I'm thrilled it's a labor of love for you as this blog has got to consume a lot of your time. I find it a daily--okay--multiple times daily must read and I'm getting so much out of it.

Thank you so much for doing this.

anon-y-mouse

Debra Kemp said...

>>I've had colleagues quote me to me. The first time it happened I damn near spilled my gin.<<

Good thing it didn't spill, Miss S., for that would have been considered Alcohol Abuse!

:))

Elektra said...

I admit it--I openly mention Miss Snark in the resume I'm sending for internships. The great MS herself (or at least the person I think is Miss Snark) claims she needs no assistance--or rather that the honor of assistance will cost me dearly in the vital organ department--but hopefully another agent will appreciate the allusion

M. G. Tarquini said...

But what do your agent colleagues say if they tell you somebody is quoting you in a query letter? Do they think the person doing the quoting is a nitwit? Are they sticking pins in stiletto-heeled effigies? Giving poodle dirty looks?

Voix said...

Your humility, in addition, is admirable. How can Miss Snark maintain her sense of humor while pouring so much creative energy into de-mystifying the literary world?

Snarklings across the country are grateful no matter what.

Anonymous said...

It's not just useful, it's also entertaining and inspiring (it got me off my ass and writing properly again). Credit too to all the Snarklings who contribute daily and add to the insight and fun.

My only concern is, when I see you updating the blog up to and beyond midnight every day, and there again before eight in the morning, when do you get time to sleep?!

(OK - do the math, sometime between midnight and eight, I know, but still...)

Thanks for keeping the blog so active!

-ril

S. R. Hatcher said...

From Canada to East Jababa, we all have questions. Your blog is extremely helpful. Thank you for taking the time to post answers. So many writers of all kinds benefit from your posts.

And, best of all, your blog posts make me laugh.

Anonymous said...

Have to say: I read this blog every day, enjoy it, and have gotten a lot out of it. Thanks to Miss Snark for taking the time.

jta said...

Yes, we all owe Miss Snark our thanks and the regard that flows from mentee to mentor (even if we're merely mental.) I would only remind everyone that a good place to make that official is the acknowledgements page.