3.16.2006

Phrases that make me stop reading your cover letter

"They're all there: the whore with the heart of gold, the chick-magnet, the rebel, the girl who got away".

Telling me you have stock characters means I stop reading.
No exceptions.

I'll stop reading your novel too if I see "flaxen haired beauty" or "raven tresses" or "buxom beauty" and you're not being satirical or ironic.

I don't mark them, I don't tell you, I just say no. Take a look at what you're writing. Have you stepped outside the norm? The first step of fresh and original is knowing what's usual.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The whore with the flaxen heart of gold? The buxom beauty who got away?

ilona said...

"They're all there: the whore with the heart of gold, the chick-magnet, the rebel, the girl who got away".

They're all here: the rebel whore, the girl who is a chick-magnet, and the magic heart of gold that desperately seeks to get away.