Girl's Night Out

"Janie, come on," Martha whined.

"Yeah, seriously... You're going to make us late for the poetry read at Bat Segundo." Annabelle rubbed her bunion and then put her spiked heel back on.

I stood there looking at myself in the mirror. Great outfit. Hot pink mini skirt with white promenading poodles and a black satin blouse showed off my will of the wisp figure. I smoothed my hair and thought of the audience. I could hear the roar of the greasepaint, smell of the crowd infusing with my mind as I imagined strutting through my poetry, on stage - a sexy galleycat.

"How do I look?"

"Like your mother wears Army boots," Annabelle sighed and stood up, opening the door to Terrapin Street.

"Dudette... Like... You're being such a snark." I noted as we slid out onto the street.

"Naw. More like a Drill Sergeant going to a reading." Martha quipped.

"Oh. Right. I can see it now," I let it muddle through my brain. "Drop everything and give me ten...books of poetry, that is."

We giggled our way into the club, waiting to become stars as the crowd parted before us.

poodle skirts! yes!

scoring to come


JLB said...

Wonderful imagery of the pre-poetry-reading! I'll take ten books of poetry any day. :)

Anonymous said...

I found this piece of flash fiction to be smooth. I thought the words and phrases fit in naturally (not easy to do, imo) and the dialogue rang true. It had just the right number of words, not to many and not too few. Bravo!

Stijn Hommes said...

will of the wisp figure? I guess my definition of will-o'-the-wisp is something else than yours.

Anyway, I don't think Terrapin was included properly and neither was that Bat Segundo thingy (although that last one fitted better).

McKoala said...

This is a really clever one! Short, sweet and it works.

Anonymous said...

Score so far: At least 78, plus five for "funny," and I think the writer deserves an extra 60 for brevity, but that's just me!