4.19.2006

Look Ma! No...

Miss Snark,
It’s simple to track visitors to web sites. What might be the significance of daily visits to one’s blog from someone at a major publishing house? Aside from the fact that it might very well be the maintenance man on his lunch break, do editors actually peruse blogs as part of their work-a-day?



There are a lot of people at publishing houses who aren't editors: start with the interns, then the art department, the sales team, the marketing team, the contracts team, the foreign rights folks, and most important: the receptionist.

I look at all sorts of blogs, more every day. I cruise around the lit blogs all the time, and people send me links to stuff left and 'write'. I usually click over just to see what's up. I've recently found one blog that isn't even about books but the writing was so compelling I dropped the blogger an email and said "if you love gin and Mr. Clooney, maybe we can be friends".

Your blog is like standing in Times Square. Everything you say and do is seen by everyone who walks by and a few gazillion people watching at home on television. Tie your shoes, dust your syntax and to quote Miss Genoese "don't be an idiot in public".

13 comments:

McKoala said...

I'm starting to feel like a nitwit for not having a blog. Anyone googling me just gets a bunch of articles ranging from feeding issues to funnies (but alas, they don't get the funiest article of all, 'cos that particular newspaper misspelt my name).

On the other hand I love gin n' George, so I can't be all bad.

Lady M said...

Hmmmm I'd think that you'd say:

"If you don't have a crush on Clooney - we can be friends... But you gotta help get him to notice me... and I might think about sharing the gin."

ROFLMAO!

Nice to see you back to posting.

About the idiots on the web issue.

Uhm... I don't think that I would say anything to anyone that I wouldn't say to their face... Either online or offline. It's just a personal thing with me.

I'll talk bad about someone - but only if I'd say that very same thing to their face.

Which kinda limits about how badly I'll talk about 'em.

:P

Lady M
myxyympl
word verifier is getting very odd.

Anonymous said...

Short answer to whether editors peruse blogs: Some of us do, some of us don't. Sometimes it's "work-a-day," sometimes it's "amuse-a-day." Just like anyone else on the Web.

vinb said...

I would be encouraged by this daily visitor, even if it may be the maintenance man. He reads the blog, he seems to like it, he may recommend it to coworkers, and word may get around. It's defintely better than someone at a major publishing house visiting your blog once and never again.

Jude said...

I feel naked now. Biting stuff.

Dorothy said...

It's interesting to see that you also visit blogs, Miss Snark. And perhaps other agents, too. Have you ever come upon a blog where you just fell in love with the writer's voice and signed them on? You mentioned one guy you emailed...is this like finding that needle in the haystack? Or that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow? I've come upon some blogs that just truly amaze me and I have written to them and encouraged them to put their stuff into a book instead of giving it away, but they laughed and said "I can't write a book...all this is for fun." If they only realized that they could make money off of it...sigh....

Minx said...

I have just done an indepth study of the Blogger and its habits. Nitwits come hither and bring George with you - please!

M.E Ellis said...

I would imagine anyone in any job that used the 'net might peruse blogs.

We're all human!

:o)

Anonymous said...

Blogging really is scary. I try not to use my Blogger ID when I leave comments on other people's blogs. My blog, in particular, is completely pointless and stupid, so when I stand in Times Square naked, I like to wear a paper sack over my head. Don't look at me -- I'm just another noisy idiot in NYC. Hey, it's cold here. Can I get a sesame bagel?

Moncrief Speaks said...

Great post.

Anonymous said...

Jude! You're naked and *who's* biting?

George Clooney said...

Miss Snark, my spam filter must have eaten that email. Could you resend using my OTHER, professional email? 'Cause my blog email is hotmail, and who the heck reads their hotmail? It's georgeandgin@inyourpants.com.

Simon Haynes said...

The funniest google search I've ever seen end up on my site was someone at a major, major publishing house looking for the string "How to get published."
I mean, if THEY don't know ...