5.02.2006

Formatting the dreaded first page

Miss Snark:

I enjoy your daily blog filled with your worldly Snarkism.

My nitwit question:

When a partial/full is requested from an agent, is it proper to start the first page of the first chapter half way down the page? I think I read this somewhere, and as we all know, if it isn't blogged on your site, then it must be questioned.

Thank your for your enlightenment.


Well, I think it's a stupid waste of paper, but that's what the usual guidelines say to do, so do it. In a 36 chapter book it wastes 18 sheets of paper which annoys my green heart, but there are some things (like only printing on one side too) that aren't very green, but do make actual sense from a biz point of view (copying two sided paper is a total PITA...and SLOW).

Suck it up and do it.

3 comments:

Manic Mom said...

really? Every first page of every chapter?

Termagant 2 said...

Yup, really. Unless you're e-submitting, in which case don't do it -- watch your pub's guidelines. The reason e-submissions shouldn't be dropped down that way is that the download takes more time for the publisher. That's what I've been told & I have no reason to disagree.

T2

tambo said...

I hadn't heard about this rule until I was in the midst of writing my third book, so I asked my editor what she preferred. She said some writers do, some writers don't... Didn't make a bit of difference to her or my agent.

YMMV