5.24.2006

Who Dun it? more like who wouldn't

Dear Miss Snark,

I have almost completed my thriller called Someone is Killing the Literary Agents of Manhattan. The book's title explains its premise somewhat clearly, except that I am using real literary agents' names and attributes for the characters who are the victims of the maniacal killer.

Do you think if I send it to an agent who gets killed off in one of the horrible ways recounted in the book (stabbed in the eye with a poisoned porcupine needle while reading Gawker, for example), that agent will get turned off by the manuscript and not want to represent it?

Thank you in advance for your sage reply.


You'd have a MUCH better chance of success if you send it to the rival of the agent who gets killed off in a most horrible way. If you write it cleverly, you could just do a universal search and replace on certain names and send different victim versions to each agent. You could start with using all the agents on Ann and Victoria's list...oh wait, that kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it.

6 comments:

jta said...

I see a sequel, too, wherein an author is killed in a stampede of lawyers, or commits suicide after being cornered by a crowd of process-servers.

Take care. Permissions would be good. I'm not sure if literary agents, even if they advertize, are legitimate public figures when it comes to libel, privacy issues, etc.

Without permission I wouldn't use any real, identifiable person in a fiction for any reason, ever.

Meg said...

This totally made me laugh out loud.

Mad Scientist Matt said...

As if the characters on Ann and Victoria's list weren't unpopular enough, it seems that complaints from Barbara Bauer may have knocked Absolute Write offline for a few days. See here:

http://nielsenhayden.com/makinglight/archives/007577.html

Anonymous said...

In a screenwriting class in college, I wrote my final about a student who tries to kill his screenwriting prof, then hilarity ensues.

He loved it and spent a whole class period reading it aloud.

Anonymous said...

Why not? They are looking for fresh voices. Sounds like a Stephen King thriller to me. Go for it. Georgia Girl

Anonymous said...

Make sure the agents you use in the story can appreciate the idea.
Otherwise, I see no reason why you can't submit this. It might even teach people something about literary agents. Of course, you should get the details correct yourself, because the agents are the first to know if you make mistakes about 'their world'.

Isaac Asimov once did a murder mystery about an author convention with, I believe, real author, publisher names.

I think the idea has merit...

Go for it!