8.15.2006

#10, Bella Stander Humerus Poetry Contest

One bone diverged in a writer's arm
And, sorry it did not mend as well
As they had told her, doctors warm
On other ways to undo that harm
Which came upon her when she fell

They called the interns, young and fair
Though having perhaps a lesser claim
Because they had trouble rememb'ring where
The humerus was, and would declare
The trouble to be that she was lame

And so next morning nurses tried
And poked till she was blue and black
Oh! They never finished, so she'd hide
Her record chart, till one of them spied
It peeping out of her laundry sack

I now come to the part where she,
Sick of waiting ages since
The doctors had told her she'd be free,
Tried healing it through poetry
And that has made all the difference

8 comments:

Blue Emily said...

Ooh, this one gets my vote. Not that I, um, get a vote. But if I did, this one'd be it.

wonderer said...

I'd vote for this one too.

Sam said...

Yes, the last line really makes all the difference...
LOL!!

Anne said...

I have my own entry and I would vote not for myself but for this one. Very well done!

Nancy said...

FANTASTIC

Termagant 2 said...

I'm 100% partial to limericks, but if I have a vote for a non-limerick entry, this'd be the one.

T2

Christine Fletcher said...

I vote for this one.

Anonymous said...

Ahh, the bane of freshmen English.

Vote!