8.17.2006

Lost Magazine is calling for work



We are thrilled to announce that NICHOLAS MONTEMARANO will be LOST's Guest Fiction Editor for issues 8-10.

Nicholas Montemarano is the author of the short-story collection If the Sky Falls (2005) and the novel A Fine Place (2002). His fiction has been published in Esquire, Zoetrope, DoubleTake, Agni, The Antioch Review, Fence, and many other magazines. He has been awarded a Pushcart Prize and fellowships from the National Endowment for the Arts, The MacDowell Colony, Yaddo, and the Edward F. Albee Foundation. He teaches at Franklin & Marshall College in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.

LOST Issue No. 8 launches on the first Monday of September (September 4).
LOST is currently reading submissions for its fall issues.


(Be nice to these guys, I like 'em)

5 comments:

Sha'el, Princess of Pixies said...

Oh. I wish I'd known. I already submitted what I'd offer them to Literary Mama. ... Since they haven't replied yet, is it ethical to submit here too? I mean neither place seems to prohibit simultaneous submissions. Oh, I hate not knowing things!

Bugwit Homilies said...

Lost is an interesting concept. The stories are all about loss or things lost.

I got an appropriate verification, TIPPYO, as in get a tip, yo!

Anonymous said...

Send it! The writing world is too tough not to maximize the potential for your writing to be seen!

dsdlpo said...

Dear Princess,
If neither mag expressly prohibits simultaneous subs, then both expressly permit them. Your letter to Lost should say, "This is a simultaneous submission, and I will of course alert you if the story is taken elsewhere." Why tell Lost at all? It's honest, and it alerts them that if they like what they're reading, they need to move quickly. (They might legitimately be upset if they loved it but dithered, and thus blew their chance because you never told them they had competition.) I hope that helps. You don't, in my book, need to alert the first mag about any other subs unless Lost accepts your story for publication, in which case you must withdraw it from circulation elsewhere. That's a key step: it's a critical courtesy (so other editors don't keep considering work that's off the market)--plus it tells those other editors your work is demand and they should look at your stuff more closely next time. May you have your choice of publications!

Sha'el, Princess of Pixies said...

I sent it, telling them that it had been submitted to Literary Mama as well. It's a better fit for Lost I think.

It was a painful story to write, but it is something I believe I did well. And it's not at all about pixies or wicked fairies or goats. It was up on Crapometer briefly. Electra kindly removed it for me, though the comments are still there.

I hope they take it, though I don't know why. I don't usually purposely reveal myself, and I do in the story.

Oh, okay. I'm shutting up now.