8.05.2006

Six Figure Roundup: What you Like Least

Assholes who don't get the blog

Grammarians

The Spelling Police

You tend to put punctuation outside of quotation marks. (ie, "I am not a bigot" is eerily akin to "I am not a crook".) The editor in me froths a little every time I run across it.

The overly-long bashing of nitwits in the comments -it gets excessive and redundant.

Keeps me from writing

That I'm not heavily promoted on it. (Kidding.)

Blatant Scottie discrimination!

No archives visible on the front page

My comment hasn't ever appeared!

Anyone who disagrees with Miss Snark. Hmph.

Commenters who pontificate just for the pleasure of seeing their nom de plume in print but who really have nothing worthwhile whatsoever to add.

When some A-hole tries to get the best of Miss Snark or KY.

No free chocolate (whatsup with that?)

the tight focus.


The only thing I hate about your blog is that I am now constitutionally incapable of firing up my laptop in the morning without checking the blog. Yours is the siren of blogs, I dare not sail past without listening to the honey tongued wisdom. Perhaps
not hatred after all.

Those who ask questions without searching in the archives for similar topics. Aarrrrrrrgh

Not always being able to be the one with a witty comment.

The fact that you can't reply to all questions (but I understand why, you probably have a social life, and when you're reading really really awful query letters and MS's you're probably drowning yourself in a bucket of gin ;)

Snarkling feeding frenzies (especially when they try (but always fail) to be as funny as the Divine Miss S)

Anonymous comments

Not getting Email questions answered due to popularity of Miss Snark :) (I've sent 3 in a year, but no reply, not even a "sorry I'm cleaning out the backlog so I'm deleting yours")


Sometimes when I read the comments, I think the Snarklings are just plain vicious. They can, at times, demonstrate a lemmingesque mob-mentality against perceived nitwits. That kind of behavior turns me off. Of course, I realize this is not something you control. It's simply part of the blogsphere.

That you've quit posting poetry. I'm all for copyrights and protection, but I miss it. Besides, I think that it's a bit of a gray area of copyright law when you're actually causing folks to go out and find the books in question (as is evidenced by comments). Could be construed as marketing. (Yes, used to do permissions for a small house and yes, would've given you a blanket "yes" for this specific usage.)

Nothing.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

,,,,,That you've quit posting poetry. I'm all for copyrights and protection, but I miss it.

??
A few days without poetry have gone by and you think she's stopped posting poetry?

She has a life, I believe.

HawkOwl said...

Eh, that's ok. We grammarians and spellers hate you right back! LOL

Robin Z said...

You tend to put punctuation outside of quotation marks. (ie, "I am not a bigot" is eerily akin to "I am not a crook".) The editor in me froths a little every time I run across it.

I've always thought that the punctuation belongs outside the quotes if it's not part of the quote. But I'm a computer geek, not an editor.

Pepper Smith said...

LOL! Sorry, we grammarians aren't going anywhere. Hey, people pay good money to take grammar classes. Why not take advantage of what you can get here free?

Anonymous said...

"I've always thought that the punctuation belongs outside the quotes if it's not part of the quote."

In Britain, yes. In America, no. It's American-trainer editors who are frothing over this. Brits and illiterates are fine with it.

Nut said...

"Commenters who pontificate just for the pleasure of seeing their nom de plume in print but who really have nothing worthwhile whatsoever to add."

And I'm one of them! It's such a joy, to be included in the most-hated list! Does this make me a member of Villain Extraurdinar group?

Anonymous said...

"...Anonymous comments..."

Someone has a problem with anonymous comments on a blog operated by an anonymous agent? And where most of the commentors use noms-de-plume?

Every time this point comes up I'm flabbergasted anew.

-c- said...

Anon-who-is-flabbergasted-anew, only because we can't tell one anon from another, there are so many. Why not pick a handle? Pick several.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Someone's upset with "the tight focus"? Umm... assuming that statement was honest, let's examine take a minute to examine it.

Miss Snark has covered so many topics, including technical items like formatting and page numbers and quantity of pages to submit; logistical items of submitting like postage and SASEs and return receipts; and etiquette topics such as appropriate lengths of time to continue being patient. She explains publishing terms and procedures to enlighten, elucidate, and educate. Check in once a day, read her posts for a week, and tell me if you honestly don't learn something new.

If she's been tightly focused on anything, it's been on providing common-sense advice. Her focus is nothing short of wide-ranging. Hello!? Poetry and George Clooney! Twenty worst agents! What she's reading and examples of what works! "First five pages" tips and "point of view" conversations! Conference and contests dos and donts! When to seek agents, how to query, when to end agent relationships, and the types of info agents should be forthcoming about! Her offsite links alone are worth their weight in new slingbacks---to publishing industry reports, other agents' sites, etc., and do I have to even mention how she rallied folks against the BB/AbsoluteWrite shenanigans?

Ummm... too tight a focus... shhhure.