8.22.2006

Yo, Kidd, wanna hang--out?

Dear Miss Snark--

I cringe to behold the awesome box office of "Pirates 2" and the ubiquitous Jack Sparrow pictures being used everywhere to market everything. Because my nearly finished ms includes a few scoundrels on sailing ships. I'm afraid that by next week agents, editors, and
everyone else will be permanently sick to death of pirates.

Should I avoid the "p" word when querying? Should I excise it from the text as well? If piratical characters are soon discovered lurking in the pages, is the project automatically toast?

Thanks for the clue,



I remember whan "Talk Like a Pirate" day appeared on my radar; an editor bought a book of all things pirate, and I thought it was a hysterical idea. Then there was Dodgeball with the pirate character. Then I saw another pirate book sell, now Jack Sparrow.

On the other hand, pirates have been around for some time now so I dont think it's a fad so much as a rediscovery of an old favorite.

You may indeed run the risk of pirate fatigue but if you've got something new, unusual or imaginative in how you incorporate pirates, I think you'll be ok. There's always room for ho ho ho's, and bottle of rum in publishing.

6 comments:

Alphabet said...

"The Pirates in an Adventure With Scientists" is deservedly doing well for Gideon Defoe and Vintage, and his series will see a third volume soon.

Ms. Librarian said...

That's "YO ho ho"! "Ho ho ho" is what Santa Claus says. LOL

HawkOwl said...

I think she meant ho's as in, you know, ho's. Pirates dig ho's.

(Is there any way to write about more than one ho' without looking illiterate?)

kurppq - pirate ship running aground while the crew's busy with rum and ho's.

B. Dagger Lee said...

I, for one, simply cannot get enough rum, sodomy and the lash.

yrs, B. Dagger Lee

Elektra said...

Jimmy Buffett sings a song called Ho, Ho, Ho and a Bottle of Rum.

Sherry Decker said...

There is nothing 'new' to write about according to my professors. But there are new ways, new styles for writing about them. That's what I'm aiming for, since I spot similar ideas to my book-in-progress in other books and films all the time. Mine is better, of course : )